+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: float tube

Justice League Guest

Default float tube

I am thinking about purchasing a float tube does anyone have any suggestions about type and what to look for.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

I purchased an Outcast Fat Cat last summer and love it. It has more foam in the seat and back cushion than a life vest so it's very safe. The bladder is very thick and seems like it will last. This tube sits up high and you feel like your're fishing from a lazy boy recliner.

Do a search and you'll find it's top rated.

They're selling on ebay for abour $210 with free shipping. They retail for $300

The Outcast Fish Cat 4 is also a good one, just has a little smaller tubes.
    It's only about $140.

I have a outcast fish cat 4 deluxe. Which means it has a inflatable seat and back rest compared to the fish cat. I also have a TU Togiak which is nice too but I like the valve setup on the fishcat better. I think the Fishcat 4 is the best value and if you have some extra $ get a Fat cat or Super fat cat. I think the made some changes so you can find the older models deeply discounted.

Jet

You should also consider some sort of PFD. I use a SOSpender waist pack. Treading water isn't as easy as it used to be when I was younger.

Jet

I'll second the fish cat 4 deluxe. I love mine...very stable, you sit ON the water, not in it...just a great float tube...

Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Normand Guest

northfork outdoors dave scadden freestyle

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/200.../2008pg35.html

Justice:

Where you plan to use it may be a factor in choice. A "true" float tube or belly boat doesn't have a frame and is flipper propelled only and really is only suitable and SAFE in still water. I have a float tube and LOVE it! I wouldn't trade it for anything but it only goes in lakes & ponds and I can live with that.

Some of the smaller pontoon boats with frames may have more flexibility in regards to propulsion and possibly the types of water you can safely use them in. I don't know but I'm sure the 'toon crowd will chime in eventually.

Why I like a belly boat over my other options is the lower profile in the water which allows maximum flipper travel and propulsion and less effect from the wind. I also LOVE having the ability to have both hands free at all times and be able to inflate or deflate in minutes and pop it in the trunk.

The trade offs are where I can use it safely and the speed of propulsion. Many times I have got carried away fishing and had to spend HOURS flippering back to my car. An inflatable with oars or an electric motor would have been way easier but in my home state motors are not permitted; nor would I want one and oars are not an option for me. I try and stick to lakes or coves that I can easily travel around in less than 4 hours.

Make sure your float tube choice has the ability to attach backpack straps to it. That will allow you to easily carry it to the water's edge or walk back to the car if you are on the far side of a lake when bad weather sets in, or in an emergency. Trust me when I tell you it ain't easy flippering across a 3 mile wide lake when it's windy and you need to get back to the car.

I can't recommend any brands because my belly boat is no longer manufactured but IF you go the float tube route I can give you this advice:
    • Check your regs, (state, county and local) for restrictions on use or permit requirements
    • Get a PFD!
    • Get a boat with a U or V shaped hull
    • Make sure there are adequate pockets for your needs
    • Make sure you can attach some kind of backpack straps to it
    • Get Force Fins brand flippers. They are worth the price
    • Consider an anchor. They come in handy when it's windy
    There are lots of other accessories out there for float tubes like rod holders, coolers, anchors and other stuff only limited to your creativity. You may want to look them over BEFORE you choose a boat to figure out if can mount them to the tube you pick.

Here's my rig:

Good luck and have fun with your choice!
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 02-27-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Excellent discussion by Bam.....
    One thing not mentioned and may not be important to most but is to me....the presence or absence of a crossbar....I hate messing with them.....

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    northfork outdoors dave scadden freestyle

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/200.../2008pg35.html
    I really like my NavII....the other one in Norm's link

FishCat 4 deluxe is a great tube.
    It's DuFf approved.
    If you are 300lbs then the FatCat is rated higher for weight capacity.

DuFf

+ Reply to Thread