+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overlining question

I've never "common cents" any of my rods, but I fish plenty of them with lines other than the ones recommended
    For example, my 10wt is what I would consider a very fast action rod. The first time out I thought it cast like a broom stick, but with a little trial and error, I got it to preform well for me. I found that it casts well with a variety of lines
    For full sinking lines (type 6 and 3), I fish it with the recommended size 10wt lines.
    For a intermediate, I go up a size to an 11wt. And with a floating line I'll use a 12wt.
    There was nothing scientific about my process, but these different sized lines work well for me on this rod.
    So yes, it's a true 10wt.. I do use 10wt lines on it. But it's also an 11wt and a 12wt.

Not picking on any one, but it makes me cringe when someone says a rod's action doesn't suit their casting style
    When you go out for the day, you should pick a rod than matches the conditions, not your casting stroke. A fast rod if it's breezy, a slow rod for fishing in close....etc.
    Adjusting your casting stroke isn't that hard, and it's far better than limiting yourself to just one style of rod
    Last edited by dudley; 02-24-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    Jeremy

You should try one of my bamboo rods. Then you could lust after it like Joe does!

fishbum
    Do you have a website?

Jeremy

Jeremy

Check your inbox.

fishbum

Interesting thread, so many FF are buying into the overlining concept. The rods are designed to cast in fishing conditions, not parking lots. The 70ft cast on a lawn or the rodmakers driveway will quickly become 30ft casts with a wet heavy fly and windy conditions.

Many time I will underline a traditional or softer full flexing rod, my casting stroke is rather slow and longer than most. I do not use the wrist cast like many trout FF.

In a two day casting seminar I attended, we were taught to cast just the 9ft leader with a 8wt salt water rod. Short casts with a stiff rod are a matter of technique not rod action.

Overline for heavy wind resistant flys at shorter distance.

Normal line for general purpose short/medium/long distance.

Underline for soft floppy rods.

The Common Cents system is only a static deflection measurement, it tells us nothing about the rod recovery rate, tip bounce or butt strength. It is fine for comparing two similar rods side by side, not for determining the line rating. The bending at 1/3 the rod lenght is very misleading, a soft rod is not designed for casting the same as a fast rod or a medium/stiff rod.

Regards,
    FK

+ Reply to Thread