+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zap a Gap

Default Zap a Gap / Super glue.....a difference?

Read the ingredients:
    cyanoacrylate. 'Super Glue'

So what makes this different than any other "super glue"?
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 02-25-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Blog Entries

The name on the label. I have never used Zap a Gap, Always just used Loctite brush on or loctite gel super glue. Great stuff, Now why would I go and spend almost 3x more for the same thing called Zap a Gap?? I'm not gonna change it unless someone gives me a damn good reason.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Smile Zap A Gap

Big Bad Wulff,

I have not used the stuff but I found a site on the web where someone is very much in favor of fly tyers using Zap A Gap.

Read what he has to say and that may answer some of your questions.

http://www.mwflytying.com/materials/secret_weapon.html

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Just wondering if anyone has used both and found any REAL difference.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 02-25-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Zap a Gap is a instant glue,the kind that you read about that will glue you eye lids or fingers together in seconds. Some keep a debonder handy just in case but a 15 minute wash with water will wash it away. Works on styrofoam balsa plywood and other hobby materials. I have a gift bottle and yes it cost $10.95 for twenty grams.

Blog Entries

Everything the guy in the link says Zap A Gap does, so does Loctite.... At least in my experience that is.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Cyanoacrylate is a group of chemicals, not a single chemical. Think about "cholesterol". People used to think that it was all the same stuff. Now most folks know that it is a class of chemicals. The same thing applies to tannin (tannic acid), actually a whole family of chemicals. Basically you get a cyanoacrylate when you stick a cyanide ion (CN) to an acrylic acid molecule (CH2=CH-COOH).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Ed

Normand Guest

using zap a gap probably started when some fancy schmancy famous fly tyer said it was the next best thing sinced sliced bread and all of the fly tying world drank the koolaid and when out and bought gallons of the stuff when the ordinary and less expensive super glue does the same thing. i'm sure glad i didnt have a drink.

Normand that explains it all.

Loctite: Keep in mind there are numerous types of Loctite, most of which are not applicable to our usage. But if they make a "super glue" I'm sure it's the same as Zap A Gap or other super glues.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 02-25-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Ok, folks.....here's my 2 cents.....and probably a little more:

All cyanoacrylate adhesives are not the same. They are all similar and have common traits and qualities.

We use these 'super glue' type adhesives where I work. We've tried a lot of them and some work better than others for certain applications.

Someone above mentioned that the Loctite does everything that the Zap-a-Gap does. They are somewhat different.

Someone also said that the only ingredient in them is the cyanoacrylate. In most of the 'super glues' there are small amounts of other chemicals, but the cyanoacrylate is the big one.

But the *big* difference, the one we need to look at...is how they react in water. The Zap-a-Gap is insoluble in water. The Loctite brand is polymerized in water.

disclaimer: I have no tie with Zap-a-Gap in the least.....heck I don't even use the stuff.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread