+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biscayne Bay Bones

Default Biscayne Bay Bones

just got back from the flats...this Feb is the best ever for me...hammered them again today going 5 of 6 before noon...today I actually got one on TOPWATER!!! was 'walking the dog" and they attacked like no tomorrow until I hooked up...Febuary has been the most productive month for bones for me since last June...seen about 200 tails today

WOW, going 5 for 6 on Winter Bones on the fly is quite a feat! All the planets must have aligned. There are PLENTY of Bone's down there in the Winter but getting them to eat a fly is much tougher than in Summer.

not this winter Dr. Fish...I have found that a heavy clouser can do no wrong...for the most part I am seeing large schools that are pushing yet tailing and will not turn down the clouser...color doesnt seem to matter so much either...dont know why this yr is so good but I would guess its the warm water temp...its a great time for getting your 1st bone because they have thrown caution tothe wind

I headed to the Key west for the weekend, with 1 day of fishing. I'm gonna either wade or rent a yak. Should I take my 8wt or 10 wt? I kinda whan to go with the 10 in case tarpon so up.

8 More fun!

both of them

If you take both (which I would have said too, but you asked for one), You will have the WRONG one at the wrong time and place! No, actually, why not take both? For instance, fish for bonz with the 8 but keep the 10 strung up and ready to cast at a moments notice. Might spot a 'cuda' too!

I had a feeling that was going to be the reply. I wanted to keep it to minimum. I don't know if I will have room on the yak for 2 rods. I guess if I wade at Boca chica key I could put my gear in a backpack. My luck would be that i would see a school of tarpon small enouph for the 10 and i won't have it.

if I were to use only 1 rod it would be a 9wt...I use 3 rods...8/9/10 all ready to cast in under 3 seconds...8 for bones...9 for tarpon...10 for permit

Quote Originally Posted by bonefishwhisperer View Post
    if I were to use only 1 rod it would be a 9wt...I use 3 rods...8/9/10 all ready to cast in under 3 seconds...8 for bones...9 for tarpon...10 for permit

Now that's good advice.

There are some Monsta Boners in KB.
    I used to go there 5- 6 times a year in the late 1970s for business .
    I usually fished with a guide named Frank Garisto(The Guido)--he was a character and I loved fishing with him.I believed he passed away about 5-6 yrs ago.RIP.

+ Reply to Thread