+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFO or Redington

Default TFO or Redington

To complete the package my brother started by giving me 2 fly reels I started looking at rods and such.

First... I decided to replace my venerable 5 wt and in my search I looked for the word "forgiving" in descriptions, since my casting is mostly self taught and could use some work. Two rods that came to light were the TFO 9' 5 wt ($89.95) and the Redington 9' 5/6 wt ($59.00). Given that my Web name pretty much says for what I fish and the fact I live in Western Kentucky, and will only occasionaly see, much less fish Trout water, which rod would be a better match?

I really didn't look at rods much more expensive since I don't think that at my skill level I could tell or appreciate the difference. I would however consider something else if the wise who lurk here could offer another suggestion.

Second..... Fly lines. I have used either inexpensive new or second hand fly lines. (did you know you can buy brand new WF lines for less than $10?). I again found a line touted to be for the improving caster, a SA Mastery Headstart. Not terribly expensive at $35, but again would welcome suggestions.

Thanks for your time.
    Clint
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

For Bluegill, I'd recommend a 3 wt. or lighter.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net/forum:b5e96]Warmwater Angler[/url:b5e96].

Go with the TFO you won't regret it. If it were me (and it isn't) I would go with the Professional series rather than the Series One. The Pro is a bit faster but seems to be a nicer rod.

As to lines the SA Head Start is a good buy for the money. It's about 1/2 weight heavier than the rating which is a good thing for new or so-so casters (like me) and it has the added advantage of having the same coating as the GPX and other top lines in the SA inventory, in fact, I have heard it referred to as the poor mans GPX.

4. Default

I can't give an opinion on the TFO since I have never cast one but have heard nothing but good things about all of the TFO rods. I have however cast several of the Redington rods and haven't found one I didn't like. Since you are mainly fishing for bluegill I agree with the 3wt or less idea. If it were me(and my birthday is coming up and I plan on doing this very thing) I would go on Ebay and wait for the discontinued 8' 2wt Redington RS2 to become available and grab one of those for about $75. That way you have the lifetime warranty on the rod in case something happens. I think TFO has the same warranty on their rods but not for sure. My humble opinion.

I have cast TFO's and I find them a bit fast, especially for newbies. Don't forget about the bigger companies, i.e. Sage & Orvis. They make some less expensive rods in the price range of TFO's with much better workmanship and action.

Thanks to all. This is exactly why I like this board and members. As far as the weight issue, I have a wonderful 3 wt 8'6" made from a Loop blank and a 6' 3/4 wt Cortland for all my panfish outings. The 5 wt will be my all-around bass rod. I also have an inexpensive 8 wt I use for buggin'. Right now I'm leaning towards the TFO 2 pc. While it is a little more money, the TFO brand has some really dedicated followers, and that many strong opinions mean alot.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Budd,

imho, ... either the Redntn or the TFO's ... you won't go wrong.

That said, ... if possible, ... cast them, ... You'll know right away if a rod is for you.

I was at a shop the other day. The Sport was getting ready to drop +1000 $cdn on a rig. Man, ... he was working hard to cast and load the rod. Red faced and frustrated! The shop owner said, "Don't worry, ... you'll get used to it".

Hmmm ...

(as I didn't know the client, nor the shop, ... I didn't "really" put my nose in it, ... I simply "pretended to want to test a rod, side by side with mine. I strung up two of mine in the mid $$ class (500$ cdn) and just "happened" offer one to the client to try)

The client ended up buying that same day at the shop, ... still over 800$ for a full rig, ... but, ... a smoother rod less "quick".

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:81013]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:81013]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 26 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 26 August 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

FCCH,
    I wish it were so! When I lived in New England the Fly Shop in New Boston NH was an enjoyable outing and, yes I could cast rods and compare lines side by side. Even a day into Vermont took me to Orvis, where the Bride even enjoyed. Not that I ever bought much there,as they were definately out of my league, price wise. Now the only fly fishing store within 2 hours is Gander Mountain in Paducah (where I will be in about 6 hours or so after taking the bride out to dinner) and it is a Big Box Store with about 12 feet of one isle devoted to FF. Somehow I don't think they would be thrilled if I were to suggest I rig up a rod and go out into the asphalt parking lot and "giver a try".

I have to depend on the collective wisdom of this BB which so far has been outstanding.

Clint
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

well i have several rods, st. croix, TFO, orvis, scott, lamiglass, loomis never casted the redington but i REALLY like the TFO pro series. i bought two, 3 & 5 wt, fo a trip out west and very glad i did. the 5 wt TFO is a little bit faster then my scott A2 and alot faster than the lamiglass ( all are rated med fast), but i liked that while fishing the bigger water. plus i doubt GM will mind if you bring a reel and go cast out in the lot. also i looked at the diamond backs they had at GM and did not care for them at all. you may also want to look at the st croix imperial rods. they are a bit slower that my scott but that is not necessarily a bad thing. it all depends on the way you cast and what kind of fly you're fishing. i have the 7' 5 wt imperial and did not rate that with the other 5's because it's so much shorter that i has a completly different feel, but it is a med action too.

all things being equal, i think tfo provides better service than redington...

+ Reply to Thread