+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas and Thomas

Default Thomas and Thomas

Questions:

Are they one of the first rodmakers to offer multi piece (3 or more) rods?

Are they the original high-end rodmaker?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

T-Fly, DESPITE the advice you always are so kind to give me, on "How to Handle ALL Women and Wives", I feel bad that I can't answer your question with complete confidence of knowledge, return.
    But, regardless of "who was first", if you're asking, because you're thinking of buying....... I own 3 Thomas and Thomas rods and wouldn't trade them for any other rod on the market, today, I don't care who makes it, or what they brag about.
    John Geirach, ( a true lover of 'Boo), once wrote, "If I could no longer fish with Bamboo, I'd either kill myself or, buy myself a Thomas and Thomas rod".
    As to "first" again sorry, I don't know. But I DO have a 10' x6wt. 3pc. that I've owned since '94!??
    Sorry, for not a very good answer, but after Linda read that other post you wrote, that "you hope she reads", my head still hurts and I can't get the bleeding stopped yet.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Define 'high end rod maker'

Fly rods have been made for hundreds of years. Every era has probably had high and low end rod makers.

Thomas and Thomas dates back to 1968 according to their website.

Winston is about 40 years older and Orvis dates back to the mid 1800s.

The oldest three piece rod that I have actually seen with my eyes was a beautiful 3 piece greenheart rod that dated to the late 1800's. I happened to be in a local shop when a collector brought it in to show the shop owner.

Many, many 3pc cane rods pre-date the founding of Thomas and Thomas.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 02-21-2008 at 05:40 AM.

At this point I am not looking to buy. I just recalled something in the dusty corners of my mind and I figured someone would have the answers to my questions.

flybinder,

A word of advice. When taking Linda to that fine restaurant this coming weekend, don't ask for the wine that comes in a box.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thanks, once more, T-Fly! You've always got my back, when it comes to Linda, I really appreciate that! Plus, I like those wine bottle screw tops, for mixing small batches of epoxy in!
    I'm hoping to call ahead, to wherever I take her, and see if they maybe have a fine bottle of Annie Green Springs, or equivalent fine "nectar of the grape", maybe something really old and well aged. Like...........I dunno, maybe "Tuesday", would be a good vintage!? No, "sparing the change", when I comes to Linda, ya' know!
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Whatever happened to that T&T sale to a British bank or somesuch? lat thing I heard, they were in some sort of a Scottish bankruptcy proceedings?

I believe they were bought back, but thats from memory and memory isn't the best thing I've got.

As for first anything I don't know, but they are certainly high end and make some really sweet product. I've walked through their shop and it is all about pride in craftsmenship and quality.

jed

Had a tour of T&T a couple years back. I showed them my Edwards Quad and they asked if they could copy the dimensions for future use. I should have asked for a rod in exchange. BILL

Reading this thread made me curious about the company. After the sorry saga of the once-venerable Powell rod company, I was interested in finding out about T&T. Doesn't sound anywhere near as lurid as the Schwab/Powell fiasco.

According to their website, T&T was founded in Pennsylvania in 1969 and moved to Massachusetts in 1972. While they've had several locations in MA and several different owners, the factory has never left the state.

In 1986, T&T was bought by an Irish company, but 2 of the original 3 principles still ran the day-to-day operations. In 1991, the company was sold to a guy in Ohio. However, the rods are still made in MA and the company is run by Tom Dorsey (one of the original Thomases.)

I found something curious about the company history page of their website. It mentions that they started making graphite rods in 1977. That's the only reference to graphite made. Everything else talks up their bamboo rods. Graphite, it's like, "Yeah, we sell'em. Least I think we do. Wanna see some boo? Ronald Reagan bought 3 of these babies as gifts, you know."

I'm certainly not defending T & T, but I noticed more on their website that they promote 8 rod models,in graphite and only 1 series of 'Boo!? They also offer a fiberglass series, which I'd love to try some day!
    However, the way of fly rods today, being priced the way they are, I'm sure the T &Ts I already own, will be the end of my collection.
    (although..............hmmmmmmmm, a FIBERGLASS T & T, might be worth....... Where's Linda? I think, she's at the store....)
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread