+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parking at the River

Default Parking at the River

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to move into the 21st Century and traded in my '93 Corolla for a '07 Rav4. By the way, when did window cranks and lock buttons become extinct? Oh well, I am a board game in an X-box world.

Anyway, here's my question - should I get a tonneau cover that hides the cargo area? Here's my thought - If a prospective thief looks in and sees nothing, he leaves. If he looks in and sees a covered area, then maybe he breaks in just to see if there is anything there. Except for the car itself, I rarely carry anything of value.

It's freaking 5 degrees here today and I still need another week for my hand to heal before I can cast. I am going to marry the first Steelie I land after I get fishing again. Cabin fever - catch it!

If you live in the area where you need to worry about things like this I would consider moving... I did.

The best deterrent is to have nothing of value in the car (including stereo) and have no "covers" so that the entire inside of vehicle is visible from the putside.

This I heard from the source - a man who served time for breaking into cars.

Most sought after items (by thieves): high end stereos and speakers, purses, briefcases and laptop computers. Oh and cellphones.

All it takes is a half inch ball bearing ball and you can get inside the car with virtually no noise at all.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Raw:

If the cover is the ONLY way you can store gear out of sight I'd get it!

One of the reasons I won't use an SUV or weenie van to go fishin' is because I can't keep my gear out of view. While the "potential" for stuff being in my trunk/hatchback exists; many many years in the physical security industry has shown me that would be thieves don't often play "shell games" when time is of the essence. In other words; seeing the goods makes you a more likely target. Obviously if yours is the only car available all bets are off.

I put everything of interest out of view when I park my car which means in the trunk. I also don't adorn my vehicle with fancy gear stickers which I feel may send a message that my vehicle may be worth looking in to. Nothing makes me happier than pulling into a parking area and seeing lots of fancy SUV's parked, dressed up with Sage, Winston and TU stickers. It make a fellow driving a modest unadorned "fish-mobile" feel pretty unpopular. But heck, I have also seen guys with loads of goodies in back of their vehicles and nothing happened. I even closed the wide open window of one guy's rig parked in a remote area. He was lucky I was a good guy when he made it so easy for the bad guys.

But of course; there are no guarantees whatever you do.

No matter where you live there are two camps; the "I never lock my doors" crowd and the "lock-it, hide-it, alarm-it, worry about-it" gang.

I am a proud, never victimized member of the latter camp. You can call me paranoid if you wish but I call the former crowd stupid!

Congrats on the new wheels!

Raw -

You went from one of the most reliable vehicles ever to a really neat ride, which will probably also prove to be one of the best on the planet. ( This from someone who has driven Toyotas for about twenty years now and whose wife loves her '04 Rav. )

My sympathy goes out to all of you who live in places where you have to be so concerned about security. Sure, there are some popular places out here where someone in the crowd might try to break into a vehicle, but most places you go to fish it just ain't gonna happen.

Your question reminds me of the old line about convertibles - leave the top down and leave it empty.

MikieFinn makes essentially the same point.

Good luck.

John
    The fish are always right.

I like the ad's I see for the thin trunks hidden under the cargo deck in the truck bed. Ild work for you or not. have no idea if one you or not. L use a convertible, lock everything in the trunk.

I have a shallow box for my spare rods I carry in the back of my Jeep. I fold down one of the rear seats and slide it in. I throw an old blanket and pillow on top and it sort of looks like I just slept in the Jeep.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raw69 View Post
    Anyway, here's my question - should I get a tonneau cover that hides the cargo area?
    my 07 rav4 came with one!

Quote Originally Posted by MikieFinn View Post
    If you live in the area where you need to worry about things like this I would consider moving...
    Welcome to the harsh reality of living in steelhead alley.

should I get a tonneau cover that hides the cargo area?
    I would... I live in a place where I leave my keys in my car/truck/bikes... and because I have all of these splendid modes of transportation, I roam about the country a lot finding myself in less savory environments. With fly gear, pro photo gear, and nice audio equipment, my rides are a candy store for those who like to liberate others belongings... the only time I had a break in is when things were visible... thieves tend to minimize risk to situations that have a known return for taking that risk... cover your stuff up. I also don't advertise my interests by putting stickers on my rides that would draw attention to the possibility of there being gear to be had....
    I am going to marry the first Steelie I land after I get fishing again.
    That should make interesting headlines... and please, spare us the honeymoon details!
    Last edited by GRN; 02-21-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for all the input. I don't want to sound like Ohio has thieves hiding behind every tree, but there were some posts on a local site where folks had had some trouble. I just discovered a hidey hole under the carpet in the back that is big enough to hold a 4pc. rod and a fair amount of equipment. That should be good to hold anything of value and anything bigger goes with me or stays at home. Plus the best price I can find for the cover is $311. YIKES!

JohnScott - I've had 3 Corollas and took every one to 145,00+ miles and loved every one of them. This is my retirement vehicle for fishing and
    landscaping and I didn't want to have to bend over a trunk. I went from the 1.8 to the 2.4 liter engine. WOW! Glad I didn't go for the V-6 or I'd be getting a speeding ticket every week.

GRN - I promise, no wedding pictures.

+ Reply to Thread