+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Bugs

1. Default Fresh Bugs

Does Anyone Know What Solution I Can Use To Preserve Insects I Have Collected Out Of The Waters I Fish ?

Here is some info; Quote: "Soft bodied insects may be collected (and preserved) in alcohol. Ethyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol (70%) are fine for this purpose. Many insects, especially caterpillars, lose their color when preserved directly in alcohol. To improve the appearance of these insects they may be killed in boiling water for a few seconds or first killed in a solution called KAAD (available from a source of entomological supplies). KAAD consists of a solution of: 1 part kerosene, 7-10 parts 95% ethyl alcohol, 2 parts glacial acetic acid and 1 part dioxane." End Quote.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I never got that fancy, rubbing alcohol, but the 90 % stuff,

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Serious Question---Honest

Does vodka work OK? Just curious. Actually, it would give me an excuse to have a large bottle of the stuff around my fly tying desk. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Does vodka work OK? Just curious. Actually, it would give me an excuse to have a large bottle of the stuff around my fly tying desk. 8T
    It's kept me "preserved" on many occasions!

It'll work, to a degree, but you have to be very careful how you "Have it around your tying table".
    I used to keep it around my tying desk, all the time, mainly for the reason that Bamboozle pointed out.
    But, when Linda started questioning me, about "WHY, do you need TWO olives, a twist of LEMON and a martini glass......to preserve "insects for tying samples", I kinda figured the jig was up and stopped doing it.
    Now, it's just easier to shove a handful of olives and a few lemon twists, down the neck of the bottle. No danger of knocking over that skiinny knecked glass, anymore, either.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Vodka

Flybinder,

Just tell Linda that the glass with the olives or twist is a clever bug trap to catch moths and carpet beetles before they can damage your tying material.

Bamboozle,

I was looking in the mirror the other day and I'm not so sure that I've been well preserved. I hope it does a better job on the bugs that I want to save.

8T

Blog Entries

Talking

Yes but the 90% stuff.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Bamboozle,

I was looking in the mirror the other day and I'm not so sure that I've been well preserved. I hope it does a better job on the bugs that I want to save.
    8T
    Go with the 100 proof stuff, keep it in the freezer and drink it neat; you'll be so preserved you'll look like a young Cary Grant...

...after you have a few of course.

I had so many the other night I was looking like a young Loretta Young. I gotta watch that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    Go with the 100 proof stuff, keep it in the freezer and drink it neat; you'll be so preserved you'll look like a young Cary Grant...

...after you have a few of course.

I had so many the other night I was looking like a young Loretta Young. I gotta watch that stuff!

I, sure WISH.............................SPRING would get here!
    When my FAOL friends "begin to think that they look like Lorreta Young", I just KNOW we're in, deep, DEEP, trouble here on the boards!??!
    However, if you feel, Bam, that "you look like Lorretta Young does NOW", since she's been dead for several years............... MAYBE that's NOT such a bad thing after all!?!
    I can remember, (barely), getting into some "Crazy Susy Wine", a long time ago, down Mexico way while fish'in for Bones and after 2 glasses of that stuff, I'd have SWORN I looked like The Buckeye Bandit there for a little while!?! Scariest time of my life!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread