+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Classic Is Here

Justice League Guest

Default The Classic Is Here

This weekend is the bass masters clasic here in SC. Well of course I have to go see what all the hoop la is all about. Here is my question why do you never see anyone use a fly rod? Are they not allowed because of lenght? Is there a circuit or tour for fly fishing (trout, bass, salt, ect.) Just wondering if anyone would know. So if you watch it on TV I will be the only person without a dip in and a bass pro shop hat on.

Maybe I should take a sign like they do at wrestling:

"My rod is over 8 ft long how about yours"
    "We don't need no stinking worms"
    "Can you Double Haul"
    "Clousers Rule"
    "I have a furled leader"
    "I don't zip I tie my on Flies"
    Last edited by Justice League; 02-20-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spe;;ing

Yep, there is a 8 ft max length limit on the rods that can be used in BASS tournaments.

The classic should be fun to go to. They spend a lot of money to put on a good show. They may not use fly rods, but hey you'll still be surrounded by people that love to fish.

Rex

Cool Sign

"Fly-casters do it in the water"

Sage just introduced their bass series fly rods that are 7'11'. I wonder if you'll see a break in tradition with this event.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Tyrone, at this event? No, I don't think you will see anyone at the classic use a fly rod. The classic is the superbowl of bass fishing. The folks that are competing in it will continue to use the same techniques that they have used all year and that got them a place in this event. The championship game is not the usual place to try something new or different. We might see someone try it next season.

Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Justice League View Post
    Here is my question why do you never see anyone use a fly rod?
    'cause they want to WIN the Classic!

Spend some time with a SERIOUS tournament BASS angler and you'll see that "time is money" to them. Multiple rods rigged with "baits" of varying types and colors to cover all depths and feeding patterns is one way they maximize their catch rate.

I doubt you'll ever see the day when a serious BASS pro would spend time fiddling with floating and sinking lines; numerous false casts, the inability to effectively horse fish from heavy cover, slow retrieves and other stuff fly anglers endure when casually fishing.

It's also the reason I also don't waste my time with fly gear when chasing old bucketmouth. I can catch more and better fish all day long with less effort and have a LOT of fun to boot than I could with a fly rod.

But hey, fish the way you want but those BASS boys REALLY know their stuff. I think you will enjoy watching it and trying to comprehend all of the variables they factor into their lure and presentation choices. I'll be watching too 'cause it's the "other" way I LOVE to fish.

It seems a WHOLE lot more complicated than fly fishing for trout to me!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Big Challenge

Hartwell should challenge the masters, bass and otherwise. The Lake is down 13 feet because of lack of rain. Good cover is often twenty feet away from the water. Many tree tops and shoals are now lurking only inches below the water. Not all of these dangers are marked so.......... 8T

+ Reply to Thread