+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blindly fishing in Mexico

1. Default Blindly fishing in Mexico

This is my first time to post -- so thank you for everyone who offers their opinion.

This is a great board.

I'm headed down to Mexico this weekend to dove hunt near Monterrey, and there is a river at our camp. I am planning on brining my fishing gear -- the question becomes -- besides Woolley Buggers and a couple of bass poppers -- what flys do I bring?

Unfortunately, I do not know much about the river or what it holds.

If you had to approach a body of water sight unseen and set yourself up for success which 2-4 patterns and 2-3 sizes of flys would you pick?

Thanks

AustinTXFF

Blog Entries

Cast and blast, whoo hoo!!

I may be way offbase here but I would assume that the patterns needed there would not differ greatly from what one would use here at home.

That being said, bring as many as you can. Like Capt. Gus said in Lonesome Dove "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it:.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:b5574]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:b5574]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by rrhyne56 (edited 24 August 2005).]

Check the Black Sabbath Black Bead Emerger recipe on Flytyingworld.com. I'ts one of my own patterns that I fish on intermediate sink (put just a little floatant on the emerger to give it effect), & vary the strip from erratic jerk to a slow strip (depends on what mood the fish are in). It has caught every fresh water fish (including Cats). I would also use a Rattlesnake (either Dark Olive/Gold Bead or Black/Red Glass Bead); check in Modern Streamers For Trophy Trout. This pattern is quite effective on Bass (especially Mexican, as well as other fish species).

Since you don't know the water I'd say it's a "crap-shoot."
    I'd take the Griffith's Gnat, the Adams, Elk Hair Caddis. Also any of the common wet flies - Bead-head Nymph, Scud, Leech, San Juan Worm, etc.
    Just a well-rounded selection.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

At this time of year you may want to be sure you have some terrestrials. Hoppers and winged ants are good allmost anywhere for allmost all freshwater species.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

This is my second try at this...

You may be fishing salty waters there so be prepared to fish for reds, speckles and maybe some flounders. There may be the possibility of finding some baby tarpon and some snook (robalo). Take appropiate patterns for it; crabs, deceivers, bent backs, clousers and salty dogs.

Good luck.

------------------
    Living large in the Southwest.

Around Matzalan try Lake El Salto. The guides get a little weird about fly fishing but this is a tremendous fisheries with some incredible LMB. They like putting you into the woods, which is challenging. Fun. Fun. Fun. JGW

+ Reply to Thread