+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lady Fisher's Ground Water Question

Default Lady Fisher's Ground Water Question

LF raised a very interesting question, this week in her story on our water and its resources.
    Below, is a request she made and I thought I'd do a little "snooping" around the net............
    Lady Fisher's quote:
    "Seriously, there are ways to determine the age of the water we draw from underground. I don't recall the method, and if you do, please put a post on our bulletin board as it would be a nifty thing for us all to know and understand." (end quote).

So, if you find this topic interesting,(as I did, anyway) and how the water you fish in, bathe with and drink........can be anywhere from "one day" to "ten thousand years old", by the time WE see it above ground, here's an interesting link which answers most of those questions!

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Ge-...er-Age-of.html
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey, good job. Hope this subject keeps going.

nighthawk Guest

We were taught in school that the water you see, in it's various forms, has been on the planet since the first day water was here. So you are drinking the same water that the dinosaurs drank. That ought to get a few of the prudes turning their noses up.

Thanks, JC and yes, I did find it pretty interesting, maybe others will to!?!

Eric.......
    Like I didn't have ENOUGH to worry about, health wise, .....you're NOW saying I have to watch out for "Tyrannosaur Rex Fever", when I take a drink, as well? Who'd a-thunk it?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Thanks, JC and yes, I did find it pretty interesting, maybe others will to!?!

Eric.......
    Like I didn't have ENOUGH to worry about, health wise, .....you're NOW saying I have to watch out for "Tyrannosaur Rex Fever", when I take a drink, as well? Who'd a-thunk it?
    May I recommend one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...132&hasJS=true

Tough to find one that filters out dinosaur pee but then I think all of that turned into crude oil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    We were taught in school that the water you see, in it's various forms, has been on the planet since the first day water was here. So you are drinking the same water that the dinosaurs drank. That ought to get a few of the prudes turning their noses up.
    You were taught wrong. Water gets broken down and recombined. The oxygen that plants emit actually comes from water being broken down. The hydrogen atoms from that water get used to make carbohydates during photosynthesis. The single oxygen atom from 1 water molecule combines with the oxygen from another to form molecular oxygen (O2). When the carbodhydrates get burned, the carbon and hydrogen molecules combine with available oxygen to form carbon dioxide (or carbon monoxide, if availble oxygen is in short supply) and water.

So whenever you take a breath, the oxygen that you are taking in may have once been attached to hydrogen molecules to make water that was dino pee. On the other hand, it might have also been a molecule of water that was in a drop of sweat from Jesus' brow. Be very careful just what you turn your nose up at...

QUOTE;
    Water > On earth

There is a lot of water on our planet. About 1 360 000 000 km3! This water is spread over different kinds of places:
    Percent Total amount of water in km3
    Seas and Oceans 97.2% 1 321 920 000
    Ice-caps and glaciers 2.15% 2 857 780
    Deep groundwater 0.31% 4 216 000
    Shallow groundwater 0.31% 4 216 000
    Inclination and capillary water 0.005% 68 000
    Rivers 0.0001% 1 360
    Salt or brackish lakes 0.008% 108 800
    Fresh water lakes 0.009% 122 400
    Water-vapour in the air 0.0009% 12 240
    Source; Thinkquest.com
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread