+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's this?

Default What's this?

I recently was turning over some rocks in the Catskills trying to see what kind of nymphs were present and I found a number of round rather flat dome shaped critters about a quarter inch in diameter with legs underneath. I figured they were some sort of crustacean. Anyone know what they are? Thanks.....

A scud, maybe.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 24 August 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I've never fished in the Catskills but if you found something like that around here I'd say it was a sow bug. A good imitation is supposed to be muskrat hair in a dubbing loop over the entire hook shank and then trimmed to shape.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Thanks but I don't believe its either a scud or a sowbug. This thing was round and flat. By that I mean something like a small coin only thicker in the center with legs underneath, and you don't see the legs unless you turn it over.

Sounds like a water penny nymph/larvae. Here is a link that shows a picture and description. Scroll down to see it.
    [url=http://www.troutnut.com/otherpics/microprev2.php:c8a77]http://www.troutnut.com/otherpics/microprev2.php[/url:c8a77]

Yes! Water pennies is what they were. Thanks

[This message has been edited by sjh (edited 25 August 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread