+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thank You Dave Micus

Default Thank You Dave Micus

I'm really new to this magic wand waving stuff and I need all the help and tutelage I can get. Your columns have been most helpful. Teaching me to be frugal and such. Then pointing me to wards A.K. Best's book "Production Fly Tying." This is a God send. I was even able to procure a marked down copy from Amazon.com but only after I looked for it on the sponsor's listed here on FAOL.
    Now I just have one question... you talk about using a straight piece of 20 lb fluorocarbon for strippers. I was wondering if it's possible to use the same kind of setup for all kinds of fishing? Now I realize I wouldn't use 20lb for bluegill, but what if you were to use a straight piece of 6 lb? Is that done?

Thanks,
    PC Rusty <><

------------------
    if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

Hey Rusty,

As a true Son of the South, (Redneck),
    I wouldn't use anything else. I keep a
    spool of 6# Trilene in my tackle bag to
    use for leader material. Also, down here
    in the south, 5 to 6 foot is plenty long.
    The black tannic acid stained waters are
    pretty forgiving. Warm regards, Jim

PCRusty

Not where you live. I would use 10# if I were going to use just straight line.

6lb would be great if you were just going to catch gills, but where you live bass get in the way and you will break off flies. What size rod are you using?

Are you fishing in a place that does not have the famous bass we are all so found of?

I caught a 10# bass fishing for gills one morning. Glad I was prepared with 10# leader. Now I use a furled leader because I love the way it turns over. But I tend to use large flies.
    If you are using a 5 wt then the 6# would probably do fine. I still have 10 on my 5 wt but I go after big bass and catfish. Largest this year 8# cat. Man was that fun.

We still need to get together and go fishing. If the red tide will leave us, some of us are talking about a get together in Nov. Over on Tampa Bay. Let me know if you are up for it.

Harold

I just bought a TFO 6 wt. for my trip to N. Ga. I'm planing on using that for my warm water setup. I really like the action on it. I was using the 8 wt because that was all I had. I'll have to get used to shorter casts. I'm thinking the 6 wt with 10# would be just about right. My neighbor wants to take me to a privte access pond where he says you have to turn your back to the water when you tie on your fly or they'll knock it out of your hand. Maybe This Sat.

Thanks for the help,
    Rusty <><

------------------

PCRusty:

From what I hear you are going to love the TFO..

Those private ponds hide some huge fish. Take the 8wt also, in case the catfish are biting and are as big as your arm.

Contact Robin Rhyne and buy one of his furled leaders in mono. I love it, I use them a lot in the salt water and man oh man are they wonderful. I use a long leader in the clear lakes. Robin makes me some and I tie on a 10# tipet. I have heard that the mono twist and turns but what ever Robin is doing he must do it right because the only leader I have any trouble was one a big snook wanted more than I did. So someplace in Tampa bay is my favorite leader.

Go catch a bunch of fish this weekend, here I will just suffer with the red tide and play with the grand kids.

Good Luck

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 23 August 2005).]

Harold I hear Ft.Desoto is clear if you can get up there. Some guys on the custom Gheenoe forum have been scouting out Ft.Desoto in preperation for a big ralley they are going to have there in Oct. The pics ands the fishing report from there the last two weekends have reported clear.

Rusty <><

------------------

I use straight mono or fluro for Streamers or poppers so I use it in the salt and for much of my warm water fishing. I usually use lengths in the 5-7' range. For trout I want a longer leader 12 - 15' (counting the tippet). To get a fly to turn over properly with that much mono I want the taper of a proper leader. I would think any easily spooked fish would want the longer leader and a longer leader will want the taper to furn over the fly.

Hope this helps.

jed

PC, you've received some good advice here. It's all about presentation--with the type of streamer fishing i do presentation isn't important--in fact a splashy presentation is better than a gentle one. I'd think it would be the same for any kind of bass, so you could use a straight piece of mono for a leader. Trout are a different story...

good luck!

+ Reply to Thread