+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon boat and this current

Whatever.......

To tell you that while in my H3 on the snake in a slow moving section and ff while the current was carrying me along, which means YES, I was floating backwards, that is the way I float and fish.
    Came across a small water fall and it cause a white water effect, not big but still there non the less. I lifted my feet over the toons and rode it out (VEST ON AT ALL TIMES). But I guess I looked the same in a way. Floating big rivers you do encounter rifts.
    As far as the big white waters runs, NO I haven't done that and have no desire to.
    I am glad you found a different boat, at least I don't have to worry about you getting the same color.

But I am beginning to understand the LASTING impression you can get from people.
    I am done here, my head is hurting from that BRICK WALL.....
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 02-18-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gobrock View Post
    I would like to thank everyone who wadded in on this question; the response was overwhelming to say the least. The reason for my post was to gather information from the many experiences Tooners here on this site to what the realistic capabilities are for these boats. Based on the feedback I can now decide if I want to invest in these products.

The thread has veered off course lately and we have now decided to explore what ones personal abilities might be and if they are of sound mind, and becoming border line with the rules of this form.

On that note I am requesting that the Moderator close this topic.

Thank ?you to all who offered their opinions!
    gobrock,

I don't think we have veered off course, but have expanded our reasons for discouraging the attempted action. A person's abilities (training?) are every bit part of the reason for discouraging the behaviour. None of us wants to see anyone get injured while enjoying the great outdoors, which is why we sometimes elaborate on our answers. Even the simple act of wading a small stream has safety issues attached to it, and we like to educate people so they don't make some of the mistakes we have made over the years. Thakfully, we have lived to tell about them, and hopefully you see our point of view, and take to heart the wisdom of years which permeate this forum.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Is floating white water dangerous in any vessel? Damn straight.

Sit down sometime with Dave and ask him why he got into this business. He'll tell you that he started to design and build tubes and toons because one of his friends drowned while fishing moving water in a "traditional" float tube. He wanted to make a product that you could use in moving water without worring about getting flipped and drowning.
    Can people still get hurt doing stupid things? You bet. Has our society tried to eliminate personal responsibility? Sure. The biggest problem I see with all of this is that were muddying up the gene pool. So much for survival of the fittest.

Rant's over,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    gobrock,

we like to educate people so they don't make some of the mistakes we have made over the years. Thankfully, we have lived to tell about them, and hopefully you see our point of view, and take to heart the wisdom of years which permeate this forum.

Joe
    Well said Joe, that's exactly the perspective I was working from in my responses.

God Bless,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post

Point is the guy in the creek company photo is in a pontoon not a tube and he is not foolishly attempting to fish while "wailing" down the rapids backwards.

To me this ad partly did it's job in convincing me of the "toughness" and quality built into a product that he would do this in. But negotiating the rapids properly (not backwards and at the mercy of strong current) is one thing. Fishing while doing so is foolish and dangerous. I'm sorry to say he lost my respect right there and I eventually bought someone else's product. Older guys like myself who have had experience in these kind of situations have more insight than a young neophyte who gets turned on by the "cool" factor (Dave's ads are definitely cool. I'll give you that!)

Moderation in the ads would I think, in the long run, sell more product for N.F.O.

God Bless,
    Don
    Speck- It's a shame you can't see the forest for the trees, brother. I see nothing wrong with the picture. To me, and I'll say it for the hundredth time, it just shows you what the watercraft is capable of. He's wearing a PFD, he doesn't look scared. I'm no spring chicken, but I'm not too old to see that there's more than one way to skin a cat. I don't see that Dave is doing anything cool, and if you've ever talked to any "young neophytes" you'll see what Dave is doing is mild to what they're used to doing. On water or land.

I don't really want a dog in this fight ....but... there is no way I would want to go down that water in an H3 frontwards....they are made to go backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I don't really want a dog in this fight ....but... there is no way I would want to go down that water in an H3 frontwards....they are made to go backwards.

Even with your H3 on steroids (navi) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RS1 View Post
    Speck- It's a shame you can't see the forest for the trees, brother. I see nothing wrong with the picture.
    RS1
    You're right! It's a nice picture. Case closed!
    God Bless,
    Don

9. Default

Kevin (Fly-chucker) do you happen to know the name of his friend that drowned? Must have been 20 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by fly-chucker View Post
    Is floating white water dangerous in any vessel? Damn straight.

Sit down sometime with Dave and ask him why he got into this business. He'll tell you that he started to design and build tubes and toons because one of his friends drowned while fishing moving water in a "traditional" float tube. He wanted to make a product that you could use in moving water without worring about getting flipped and drowning.
    Can people still get hurt doing stupid things? You bet. Has our society tried to eliminate personal responsibility? Sure. The biggest problem I see with all of this is that were muddying up the gene pool. So much for survival of the fittest.

Rant's over,

Kevin

Sorry, I don't remember. You're right though. It was quite a while ago that it happened.

Kevin

+ Reply to Thread