+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is a....

1. Default Why is a....

Why is a 1wt more popular than a 0wt or 00wt? I may be wrong but from what I hear from the board I haven't really heard of many people using 0 or 00wt rods...just 1wts. Also doesn't seem like a 2wt is vary popular either. Why? How much more can you do with a 1wt than you can a 0 or 00wt? How much different is a 1wt and a 2wt?

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Mike:

It has to do with practicality more than anything else.

First of all a 2wt is best used on flies 16 and smaller when there is little or no wind on smaller fish. I have a 2wt and it times I love it but if conditions are not right it can be a pain in the butt to cast. I am not positive but using a 2wt as an example I would imagine that when you get to 1wt rods and 0 or 00 you probably are talking about flies smaller than 20 on days when it is deadly still. I guess if you can be sure that?s what you will encounter it?s OK but in my experience the day you take the 2wt-00wt out for a spin there will be a Hex hatch.

The other issue is available lines in those sizes. There just isn?t a decent selection of lines out there in the smallest sizes and a line can make the all difference in how a rod performs, I personally would never buy a rod that required a special line from a single manufacturer. I will guarantee you eventually it will be discontinued and you will be in possession of a 00 weight tomato stick.

And finally many fly fisherman just don?t think that it?s fair to fish in places where bigger fish lurk with ultra-light tackle; it MAY necessitate the need to over-play a fish and possibly kill it.

I personally have no use for anything smaller than a three weight although I already own a two weight rod. And don?t be fooled into thinking you need to go small to fish small; I fish regularly down to size 28-32 flies and use 3-6wt outfits to do it. The 1-00wt outfits are cute toys but better suited to be conversation pieces than fishing rods.

oh boy, ... this is gonna be good

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 22 August 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

fcch: you got that right....Mike, go to [url=http://www.byrdultrafly.com:4da56]www.byrdultrafly.com[/url:4da56] and read.

The truth shall make you free.....
    [url=http://www.byrdultrafly.com/ulmyths.htm:4da56]http://www.byrdultrafly.com/ulmyths.htm[/url:4da56]

[This message has been edited by jsentell (edited 23 August 2005).]

I know 3 or 4 guys who have a 0-wt, but nobody who owns a 1-wt, so my experience is quite different from yours.

I fish a lot of small streams that contain smallish fish. Where I mostly use my 0-wt, I can pretty well guarantee that I'll catch nothing bigger than a 10" trout. I was surprised on one creek, to catch a cutthroat of 13 inches, and the 0-wt still handled that fish with ease.

The 0-wt is not a toy. Its built for delicate presentations but still has what it takes to land a good sized fish.

I guess it means how you define "popular." I don 't see too many people using any of these rods!

Hey, Mike;

You can blame it on good old Royal Wulff. He started that stinkin 1wt club (when was that? 2 years back now? Guess not quite.) and everyone just HAD to play keep-up and go get one! Here is the thread ofr your perusal: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/009163.html:18863]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/009163.html[/url:18863]

Don

(Still thinking I might just have to join. Got a 3wt and love it!)
    Don Rolfson

I have 0 wt SLT and I threw th 00 TXL this weekend. I can throw a 10 Stimulator with a dropper no problem. Big wind ? that's no fun. A little wind no big deal. It is so much fun -- I caught a 12"+ rainbow Saturday night, what a blast.
    Ward

------------------
    2Fly

Caught a 13" cuttbow with a #10 caddis emerger of my own design using my Sage SLT 1 wt. A #10 fly with a 1 wt? Yep, no problem. This was in a small stream in some good current. My 1 wt. is a strong, special and refined tool, but no way is it a toy. That is a silly suggestion. Fish one and see!

Some folks, and ya gotta love um, think they are more evolved than the rest of us because they ask those little rods to do everything in all conditions. For this cowboy at least that just ain't the case. I have some 1-2 wt rods and fish um and enjoy um too. But I'm not gonna use one with #10 flys with a dropper in the wind....It just aint worth it.

+ Reply to Thread