+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brodin Ghost net?

1. Default Brodin Ghost net?

Ok, so I am in a fly shop and the car salesman, oops, I mean shop employee is trying to sell me on a brodin ghost wading net.

Feel free to disagree with me, but how stupid would I be to buy this? I dont care how invisible the netting is (plus the net isnt invisible) so how is a trout not going to be spooked by a big 200 pound person trying to net him (even if the netting is invisible)?

I suppose that it may help more calmly net a not as ready to retire fish as apposed a black rubber net, but we all really know new fishing gear is meant to catch more fishermen than fish.

I very much like the clear nets but not so much the price of Brodin's nets. Wish I could find the actual clear or black rubber by it self to place in a nice old handle and hoop of my own. Anyone know a supplier drop me a PM please.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Thumbs up

The Brodin Ghost Net is a very good net, but the sales pitch about fish not being able to see it (yeah right) doesn't do justice to the strong points this net has:

1 - Well made, with a beautiful finish and quality wood (Teak).

2 - Rubber netting that is almost as light as fabric mesh, easier on fish's slime coat.

3 - Rubber nets don't get flies caught in them as much (especially droppers...)

4 - Rubber nets don't hold odors when they dry like fabric does, and they dry quickly.

5 - Clear rubber net allows for really nice photos of fish w/out removing them from water.

6 - Price is pretty decent compared to other quality nets w/rubber bags.

While I don't own one, I do own a Fisknat net w/rubber netting. The advantages of the Brodin Ghost net are significant enough to put it on my short list of "gotta have" items. YMMV.....Ed

4. Default

It is heavy.

If I was in the market for a new net, I might be tempted, but I don't think I would replace a good net just for the mesh.

Regards Mike
    Inside every old man is a young man saying " what the hell happened "

Quote Originally Posted by jjtroutbum View Post
    I very much like the clear nets but not so much the price of Brodin's nets. Wish I could find the actual clear or black rubber by it self to place in a nice old handle and hoop of my own. Anyone know a supplier drop me a PM please.
    Brodin Ghost Bag
    $25.00

http://www.bearsden.com/product6264.html

I long ago embraced rubber-bagged nets for all the benefits that Heritage Angler points out, with the additional benefit that they don't snag fins and gills like the nylon or coated nylon nets always did for me.

And I respectfully disagree with the other poster about weight. The older rubber nets were definitely heavier. The newer generation rubber nets are not perceptibly heavier. I had one of the original (heavier) Fishknats, which I was able to send back to them for a very low-cost retrofit to the lighter bag, and it's a huge difference. I'm a big fan of their nets in general, and also of the Brodin.

I agree with the skepticism regarding the clear nets - the fish is going to be more spooked by my big 'ol body more than the net bag, so I don't see where the color makes that much difference. However, if you want something that is by far easiest on the fish, and will keep you from snagging flies in the net and possibly impaling yourself, you will want to spend the couple extra bucks on one with a true rubber (not coated) bag.

8. Default

Maybe an objective method of settling the weight issue could be found.

hutjensmpg Guest

I'd be a little skeptical of the not spooking the fish claim. Isn't it proper technique to have the fishes head up and kinda skate them into the net? If so, then the bag color or lack thereof shouldn't matter in the least.

As a domestic fish keeper, I think they have some valid points. The pictures that I have seen in clear water show how camoed the bag is in the water vs a black bag. If you are fishing very stained water the bag might very well be more visable than an black bag. Brodin makes quality nets though and they did make the short list when I was shopping recently. This is the best price that I found on their steelhead net. I also believe in a big net. A friend of mine often says that when a big fish is on there are few that would wish for a smaller net. If you have a small net and a big fish is on most would be willing to give their right arm for a larger net. I ended up with this one:

http://www.ldhnets.com/steelhead.htm

Here is a good place to buy the Brodin Steelhead net though: http://www.theflyfishers.com/catalog...083bdbfea63d64 $54 for a $90 retail net isn't too bad.

For list prices check out this link. The Steelhead net is the last net at this link: http://www.herndonrods.com/Brodin_Pro.htm Also has pictures of the ghost nets.

Rick
    Last edited by Clay; 02-17-2008 at 06:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread