+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baby Duck/Muskrat imitations

Default Baby Duck/Muskrat imitations

Anyone have any suggestions for baby duck/muskrat imitations? Only 2 designs I can think of is a gurgler and deer hair type flies. I'm working on one now that is deer hair, which is stacked deer hair covering the shank of the hook, mottled black and natural. Very time consuming.
    Gurglers would be much faster tie, however deer hair would look closer to the natural.

jkilroy, Check out Gary Lafontaine's "Creature". This fly in larger sizes would make a nice imitation of a baby Muskrat or Mouse.

Later, Jim

Jkilroy,

I'd forget trying to 'look' like the natrual.

The gurgler will 'swim' like a duck or small animal working it'sway across the surface, and that's probably much more important.

All the mouse imitations I've seen just drag on the surface with no motion. That broad, flat face on the gurgler will give you some side to side motion, which is what happens when a duck or mouse is paddling with it's feet.

No fish watches for the 'mouse' or 'duck' hatch. This is opportunistic type stuff. The fish won't look closely at the fly to see if it is really a duck. The thing is getting away, and the fish is either going to eat it or not at first perception.

Guglers are quick to tie, use inexpensive materials, and work well for this. Sometimes the better mouse trap is already built....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Good, that's what I like, and what I wanted to hear. I at least have to finish my 4/0 stacked deer hair baby duck. The 1st large Muskie will probably make minced meat out of my fly, o'well.

Suggestions for the construction of the gurgler?

Peter Frailey's Gurgle-Pop tied in a large enough size, and the right color maybe?
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...121503fotw.php

Anyone have the recipe for the moorish mouse? It looks like it may have deer hair as the underbody. I'm not sure what it uses.

Well, here's your baby duck: http://www.renaelva.net/forum/index....0o3&topic=58.0 (How's your Norwegian?)

Can't help you on the muskrat.

Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post
    Well, here's your baby duck: http://www.renaelva.net/forum/index....0o3&topic=58.0 (How's your Norwegian?)

Can't help you on the muskrat.

HAHA wonder what kinda fish would bite the 2nd fly on the page. that old dudes head fly . lmao. at 1st I thought it was gonna be abe lincoln. ROFL
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

+ Reply to Thread