+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Straightening

Default Rod Straightening

I recently picked up a vintage 5 piece bamboo rod from a flea market in a wooden box, I got it really cheap, but have noticed some blemishes as I look it over. The major on is that the tips, there are three of them, are warped. Any advice as to how one would go about straightening them would be highly appreciated. I want to do it myself as that will add to the enjoyment of using it afterwards.

I have only done this to one rod, but it worked fine, at least I think it did - haven't fished it yet. I tried a hair dryer and gentle holding of the rod "against the bend" but that didn't work. What you have to do is soften the glue that holds the strips together, and then set them in a straight line, opposite the bend. The thing that I found to do this was a "bed buddy", which is a wrap that you put in the microwave and heat. I put it in for one and a half minutes, so that it was pretty warm but not just blazing hot, then laid the rod over a slight bump, with the bed buddy on top of it, and left it for 20 minutes. Took it out and it was straight. I'm sure you'll get a lot of other ideas, but this worked for me.

I used the same technique! The micro-bead "thingies" are wonderful! They provide a humid heat, that's not too hot. Seems to work even after being fished numerous times. I sandwiched the rod between folds of the pad, and weighted it down with books. When it cooled, the rod was straight!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread