+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap full-action graphite rod?

Default cheap full-action graphite rod?

Can anyone recommend a cheap (under $100) full-flex graphite rod? I'm looking for one to use strictly for casting practice, but don't want to spend very much. Something to keep rigged in the garage so I can grab it and cast whenever the urge strikes. I'd even take a used rod, if anyone has one they'd like to part with.

dw,
    If you get a chance, take a look at the Pflueger Purist rods. I have an 81/2' 5 weight and a 71/2 4 weight, and I really like both of them. I think I paid $29.95 new for each of them. They are great rods for delicate presentation. Or for practice.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

i just got a st. croix premier 9' 5wt. for around $60 after internet discount from hook and hackle and love the way it casts. its a medium/fast action rod, though.

[This message has been edited by tyflier (edited 19 February 2005).]

I've got an older Sage DS 790 I've been thinking about selling. It's been described as "moderate" action and I would agree. It's very well made though I've have never really used it much. It has the black anodized reel seet and a small fighting butt. Still has original tube and sock.

If you're interested in a 7wt, let me know.

Go to walmart or similar. There are numerous Cortland and SA blister pack rod/reel outfits for under 100. All would be slow/moderate action. Also now available is orvis combos.
    The advantage of these is they come with reel and line, leader etc. Some include video.
    However, the deal may be the Sage offered above for the quality factor. Reel included?

You might look at some of the ones that Orvis is selling. I forget the name of the series but they are well under $100. I hear you can even find them at Wal-mart now.

Wal-mart or Madame K's, Scientific Angler, 9 ft. 5-6 wgt or 7-8wgt same length, for $19.95. I use the 5-6 wgt as my night rod. If I fall on it and it breaks, oh well. Now I need to find a really cheap good reel to go along with it. I tried the Martind but the line gets caught between the spool and the reel body ; what precision! RR

I vote for Cabela's Three Forks...best buy in FFing IMO

Gotta agree with Ursus on the Clearwater series. The older ones are nice if you can find one. The classics are back to the mkeup of the older models. Stay away from any made between 2000 and early 2003. They have an aweful sloppy feel to them

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look into your suggestions, especially the Fenwick. I cast one a while ago and forgot how smooth it was. Thanks for the offer, preast, I would love to take you up on your offer, however I don't have a need for a 7wt right now, nor the extra money right now.

------------------
    dw

'Don't know, what you don't know.'

+ Reply to Thread