+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the middle of fly fishing country, a great place to eat

nighthawk Guest

Default In the middle of fly fishing country, a great place to eat

Literally sits right on the bank of Neshannock Creek in western Pa. It is called The Iron Bridge Inn and is located just south of mercer, pa. on RT 19 south. If you are ever in the area you have great fishing and eats at hand.

http://www.springfields.com/ibi_files/ironbridge.html

Great local fly shop too:

http://www.ncflyshop.com/

So what do you have in your area?

Eric,
    Actually right back in your area "was" one of the most picturesque places to eat. Just outside State College PA in Bellefonte (sp) was Schnitzels, in an old historic Bush hotel building right on the banks of Spring Creek, North of "Flyfishermans Paradise". You could eat outside on the old stone deck and watch the huge browns pointed upstream awaiting their lunch. Great food ( or at least because of the location, I didn't really care) . We had an informal FAOL fish-in in State College and met at Schnitzels every evening for drinks,dinner, laughs and lies. Sad to say, Schnitzels is no more. The old historic Bush hotel building burned to the ground. Sad also to say, some of the guys who attended that fish-in are also no more.
    Eric, I hope this wasn't too far off topic. Also, Eric, I have noted "Iron Bridge Inn" on my list as a "recommended" foodie destination. If we're in that area, you can rest assured we'll be there. I love hearing about places like that, in fact, about the only other website I participate in( loosely stated) is Roadfood.com started by Michael Stern of " Eat Your Way Across the USA" book fame. My wife and I have found real "gems" there. From Spam sandwiches in Austin MN to Wyo meatballs in Story WY. Great thread. Thanks

Mark
    Last edited by Marco; 02-12-2008 at 06:22 PM.

nighthawk Guest

Thumbs up Not off topic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Eric,
    Actually right back in your area "was" one of the most picturesque places to eat. Just outside State College PA in Bellfonte (sp) was Sznitzels, in an old historic hotel building right on the banks of Spring Creek, North of "Flyfishermans Paradise". You could eat outside on the old stone deck and watch the huge browns pointed upstream awaiting their lunch. Great food ( or at least because of the location, I didn't really care) . We had an informal FAOL fish-in in State College and met at Sznitzels every evening for drinks,dinner, laughs and lies. Sad to say, Sznitzels is no more. The old historic hotel building burned to the ground. Sad also to say, some of the guys who attended that fish-in are also no more.
    Eric, I hope this wasn't too far off topic.

Mark
    Marco,
    You are quite right. Not off topic at all. I remember that place. What a shame to loose such a wonderful place and the good companions that have departed from our earthly abode. Thanks buddy.

Yup, was at that fine inn (Schnitzels) twice. Loved to watch the big trout too.

Oh Yea! The Iron Bridge is great!
    Also, try "Rachaels", just up the road from the Iron Bridge. Get the "Filet Slices" and the stuffed banana peppers.
    The Outlet Mall at Grove city is a great place to drop off the "non-fishing" spouse while you chase a few trout on Neshannock Creek.
    As for mine, she prefers to fishing over shopping.

TwoWeight

nighthawk Guest

Anyone know if they followed through on their plans to rebuild?

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWeight View Post
    Oh Yea! The Iron Bridge is great!
    Also, try "Rachaels", just up the road from the Iron Bridge. Get the "Filet Slices" and the stuffed banana peppers.
    The Outlet Mall at Grove city is a great place to drop off the "non-fishing" spouse while you chase a few trout on Neshannock Creek.
    As for mine, she prefers to fishing over shopping.

TwoWeight
    Rachel's is excellent as well. They are actually both owned by the same local company. The mall is 140+ stores and includes a Woolrich outlet. Lots of motels in the area too though if you are looking fro a good low budget motel try the Park motel in Grove City.

Here is a wonderful B&B in G.C.:

http://www.bbonline.com/pa/snowgoose/

Eric & I spent some time at the Outlets....the 2 best are Sony & Woolrich, then on to the Iron Bridge for dinner. In fact, Eric took pix of me with his /then mine/now my son's canoe on my Jeep in their parking lot.

TwoWeight...I've GOTTA try Rachels!!...Filet slices AND stuffed banana peppers? I'd be in Heaven!! Some of my favorite health foods there.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    Eric & I spent some time at the Outlets....the 2 best are Sony & Woolrich, then on to the Iron Bridge for dinner. In fact, Eric took pix of me with his /then mine/now my son's canoe on my Jeep in their parking lot.

TwoWeight...I've GOTTA try Rachels!!...Filet slices AND stuffed banana peppers? I'd be in Heaven!! Some of my favorite health foods there.
    Mike
    Here be the mighty 'tuber and his former Ohiotuber satlwater gill bustin' canoe mates, aaarrrggghhh:

Perhaps me mates from the Buckeye would be coming to a gathering in that there area so we can fish, make merry and run up the Jolly Roger, aye?

http://www.cosmosmith.com/jolly_roger.html

Eric,
    That sounds good to me! That's supposed to be a pretty good trout stream.
    Hey...keep in mind April 19th & 20th. The Virginia Fly Fishing Festival. We can fish with Grubb, Dotman will be there, & I have a feeling I can talk a couple more into attending! This year, I AIN'T goin' swimming in any mountain streams!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread