+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My favorite creek KILLED

Default Chlorine spill

Montana may be an eviromental backwater but our state D.E.Q. would have our butts in a sling for an illegal chlorine discharge.{fines and possible loss of our operators licenses}It's a shame somebody didn't get a sample to test the chlorine level. Based on the chlorine level the flowrate of the creek and the time from spill to testing you could get a fairly close estimate of how much chlorine was spilled.Here in Mt. to be discharged into a waterway the water has to be dechlorinated prior to discharge,if I remember right the most common agent for dechlorination is sodium thiosulfate.Above 1-MG/L chlorine is hazardous to aquatic life.
    chlorine also dissipates{more effective disinfectant} quicker in warm water.For the chlorine to reach the stream either there was an extreme operator error, major mechanical failure or lack of backflow/antisiphon protection so hopefully your state regulatory agency will be on the water system like a bad haircut on Don King.

I read about a Chinese Chlorine spill that was catastrophic. They used Caustic Soda to clean up the Chlorine. I read that Chlorine dissipates faster in warm water, but I already knew that since I've owned a Hot Tub. I suppose that if the Chlorine spills into a river and kills all the fish, then as soon as the Chlorine dissipates, then the river can be stocked again?
    Articles; Merk Co. Fined;http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...spill-47121405
    Paper Mills & Chlorine;http://www.georgiastrait.org/?q=node/541
    Pulp & Pollution;http://www.rfu.org/cacw/PulpPrimer.htm
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 02-07-2008 at 07:06 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Thanks to all for the info. I have a call into the OK dept of wildlife.
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hey there Carl.... I was there a few years back when the train derailed on the Cantara Loop and went into the Upper Sacramento. The Cantara Loop is an Infamous stretch of track just north of Dunsmuir, CA. Hunt up the Dunsmuir website, and you can probably get all the details from their local newspaper there. It was a BIG deal. It killed every fish downstream of the spill for many miles. They did a very thorough cleanup, and now, about 15 years later, the stream has fully recovered. I believe there were catchable trout there in about five years. I fished the river there a lot before the spill and it was a very good trout stream. I was back there fishing about seven years after the spill, and caught fish, but the streamside vegetation was still not back fully at that time. The spill wiped that out as well for a for miles. That spill was not chlorine, but some other more nasty chemical, and the derailed train laid there in the river for several days before they got it dragged out.
    There was diesel fuel and other stuff involved as well. Good news is, the upper Sac. is back in spades, and has been for some time now. Your stream will recover too, faster if it gets proper help..........................................Modo cDan

Blog Entries

I would think that with chlorene that the stream would be inhabital again in a week or two. a local fishing group or individual with the approval of fish and game could probably speed up the process of revitalizing it by bringing some insects from above the spill down streem and releasing them. and then next year doing some approved catch above the spill and release in the spill area.

sounds like someone at your water treatment facility needs a good swift kick

Eric

Cat,
    Seems like your getting your ducks in a row. I googled the area; and from your general description see that Fort Sill is nearby? If any part of your creek runs through or along side the base I would imagine someone in EPA or Federal Parks should be able to lend a hand.

Good Luck on your endevors,
    Just post if you need a letter writing nudge.

JIm
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Back in the early 90's a gold mining company on the South Coast of Newfoundland had a huge cyanide leak that ran into a salmon river called "Cinq Cerf". It did some serious damage to the river and the commercial inshore fishing grounds it emptied into. However, the salmon and trout have rebounded beutifully and the inshore fishery in that area is more prolific than in many of the other areas along the coast between Rose Blanche and Burgeo. Is this typical of the aftermath of spills? No...but I hope it gives you some hope and a will to fight for habitat remediation and better spill prevention.
    The gold mining company in this story really stepped up and my friend is still getting flown in by helicopter once a month to do water quality sampling to ensure that the remaining tailings ponds left after the company moved on, are not leaking. If the folks responsible for this do the same, your creek may also rebound in relatively short order.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by fivedials View Post
    Cat,
    Seems like your getting your ducks in a row. I googled the area; and from your general description see that Fort Sill is nearby? If any part of your creek runs through or along side the base I would imagine someone in EPA or Federal Parks should be able to lend a hand.

Good Luck on your endevors,
    Just post if you need a letter writing nudge.

JIm

WOW, good point, as a matter of fact, Ft Sill is just over the hill from the spill, and the creek runs through Ft Sill futher down stream, (I think, I'll have to check for sure)....contacting the EPA might really be the ticket......no one likes to hear the word EPA when they've done something wrong.

Great advise, thanks
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

Definitely contact the EPA. Polluting the waters of the United States is a major issue to them and trust me, they will not take it lightly if it's a municipal water company. If this has happened before then it's doubly important to get them involved. That water company gets a consent decree against them from the EPA & they'll make sure that tank doesn't leak anymore I'll gaurantee you that.
    John

+ Reply to Thread