+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Barbed vs. Barbless

Well, I confess to keeping the barbs on for most of my fishing. The only time I will mash the barb down is when regulations require it.

Why? Simple, I have found that I land more fish when the barb is in place.

I fish mostly for trout, with flies that I tied and mostly size 14 and smaller.

I release every fish I catch so it's probably heresy to admit it but I like to land the trout I finally do catch. Long line release or the 8 second rule just don't cut it for me.

I like to land the fish and without a doubt I land more on barbed hooks than barbless hooks.

I think that one of the problems that people have with barbed hooks is that they don?t have a clue on how to remove them from a fish.
    They just grab the hook and start ripping it out of the fish?s mouth.
    If they would just follow the same rules to remove the hook that are used in removing hooks from human flesh, they wouldn?t have a problem.
    All you have to do is put a slight downward pressure on the main shaft and the barb will slide back out effortlessly. It will follow the same path as it entered without the barb digging in to tissue.
    FFF Life Member #22

Now I think he was referring to larger hooks than the ones we typically tie, but a state fisheries biologist I know says barbless hooks aren't always the way to go because the lack of the barb can allow the hook point to penetrate deeper, puncturing a vital organ. In case anyone wonders, he's a strong proponent of catch & release.

I have found that the barbs don't damage a steelhead's fillets, so I keep using them.

Seriously, though, I am new to this fly fishing game, so I am still experimenting. I have pulled barbed hooks from deep within my haunches, and I don't want to do it again.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    I agree with good buddy Jack. I also do not feel my lost fish are attributable to my debarbed hooks. They sure do make releasing easier though after I land 'em.
    Mike
    I agree with Mike and Jack.

Since I DO "have a choice" as to whether I tie and fish, with barbed or barbless hooks I always choose the barbless.
    I've fly fished, since before "barbless became the new chant" and I lost as many fish, THEN, as I do NOW, with my switch to barbless hooks. There are a 109 reasons, why we loose fish, before we land them and it's never been proven that barbless loose more than barbed.
    (There's many THEORIES, written and talked about this argument, but no PROOF)
    Actual old "fishing skill", (or lack there of), usually loose more of our fish, than the lack of barbs on our hooks and I should know................ been at this well over 30 years and I STILL have no "skill"!!
    But, regardless, I personally like barbless hooks.
    They're easier and faster to re-sharpen when dulled, usually. They're much easier to remove from human flesh. Ever tried to remove a barbed hook from the woven boot lace of your wading boots? How about, from the mesh twill of your vest...........or your net bag?
    True, there's many good ways to remove barbed hooks from skin and fabric, but instead of learning "new tricks", I simply have to very easily pull a barbless hook straight out, the opposite way it "went into" whatever I'm pulling it out of and that also, includes, the fish I land on rare occasions.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wink

I really prefer Barbed hooks.But most of my flies were tied on barbless or bent down barbed hooks from a friend that ties lots and lots of flies.I catch and release lots of small Rainbows here in the local urban ponds.I also lose quite a few and that is all part of the game.However,I really hate it,When I get a little bigger fish on and lose it ,to what seems like an inferior holding ability of a barbless hook.Then again I am new to Fly Fishing This Season, and the bigger fish could be a little better at the game than me.But it is easier on my Ego to blame Those Early Releases on the Barbless hooks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Paul;
    If I got you right it was because the hypotanoose of the tangent was not equal to the frabinstat as the canootan was off the quadrant by a country mile.

And another thread bites the dust!
    Anyone keeping score?
    Thanks to the NBOF, we aim to please!
    Hi Jack!!!

I feel that I do lose a few fish because I use barbless hooks. I think that mainly I lose the ones that I don't set the hook on very well... Gotta be the barbless thing, just gotta be.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Hi Jack!!!

I feel that I do lose a few fish because I use barbless hooks. I think that mainly I lose the ones that I don't set the hook on very well... Gotta be the barbless thing, just gotta be.

Ed
    Yes, EdD, you're 100% correct, in your assumptions, (as always), on you loosing fish! Hearing of your "expertise" on fishing, by many here I'm more than sure, that ANY EXCUSE is enough to offset your fine cunning on the stream and your stealth, animalistic like approach to hunting fish.
    Hijack pretty well nailed it, also, in his conveying the reasons many of the rest of us, loose fish also. Even tho', he was 13.345 degrees off, on his angle of the I-Pontronunus in relation to the squared force of the hook's point, (upon entry into the fish's mouth and surrounding tissue), he was still close enough to get it right!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread