+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planned obsolescence - A bit of a rant

An interesting discussion. Lots of things ain't build like they used to be - - - And as far as trucks go I sure am glad. Autos/trucks are vastly more dependable than they were back in "The Good Ole Days".

Tim

Dear Bill and Bamboozle,

I like when you PA boy's chime in in agreement with me!

Bam I hear you on the boots. My buddy has a pair of boots that he has had since I've known him and I know him 20 years this June. They are the ugliest boots you will even see but he uses them at his farm for working and messing around on the weekends. They have burn marks and diesel fuel stains and knicks from close calls with a chainsaw but the soles are perfect because every couple of years he gets them reshod with brand new Vibram soles. They are Chippewa's if that matter's to anyone and still available and made in the good old USA in Wisconsin.

When those boots finally do go away I think we'll have a 3 day wake for them?

Do shoemakers even exist anymore?

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

Regards,
    Tim Murphy
    Alas, my shoemaker closed up shop because of all the "throw-away" footwear that people buy today. They tire of it before it wears out, toss it in the trash or the corner, and just buy more new stuff. I have a pair of Hanover wing tips that are 25+ years old, that are still comfortable after being "re-shod" many times.

I digress.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Heck yea, Camody Shoe in Allentown is one of the best I've ever dealt with. He has patched holes in, and resoled my Chota STL's more than once.

There's something eminently noble about a pair of waders or wading shoes with a patch on them!

At least there used to be...

Before anybody asks we got drive-in theatres in my neck of the woods too!

Last edited by Bamboozle; 02-09-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    Before anybody asks we got drive-in theatres in my neck of the woods too!

Yes we do! But the last time I was at a Drive-In theater, they had removed those neat old metal speakers that you had to hang on the windows. They had a volume knob which was great! We used to park in the back row and put one speaker on either side and crank 'em up. We were the pioneers on "surround sound". Now, you have to tune your car radio to a certain station and recieve the sound through your radio.

I'm 65 years old. (ouch that hurt) and I've seen quite a few changes in the passing years. Some are good and many are not. Here's a few.
    When I was 13 (52 years ago), my father bought a Montgomery Ward chest type freezer. What a novlety. Freeze the stuff you wanted to keep. Right now it sits in my daughter's garage, still going strong after all these years, without a single repair. It's been in constant use too. It doesn't owe anybody anything.
    I had a Kenwood 18 foot camp trailer that was built in 1958 that's still going strong. Can't wear the booger out. Tried hard. Gave it to my fishing buddy to use because he can't afford to drive his $80K motor home out camping anymore. I have another 2000 trailer that's falling apart already.
    Bought a 12V Ryobi reversible drill two or three years ago. Battery won't charge any more. You can't get a new battery at Home Depot any more, but you can get them online for around $45. Almost as much as the drill cost. The rest of the drill is in excellent shape, but who wants to sink that kind of money into something that's already obsolete?
    Technology today has provided us with some great stuff that makes life a lot better than it used to be, but I sure hope that we can figure out how to make things last longer than a year or two. Our ravenous desire to own the latest and greatest whatchamadoodle fires the engines that leave some good technologies sitting in mothballs. We've progressed from vinyl, to reel to reel, to 8 track, to Cassette, to CD, to Bluetooth, and what's next? I'm sure it's on the drawing boards. And that's just in an eyeblink of time. I don't own a Z-Axis rod (yet) but I'm still using my old 8' Fenwick glass rod that I bought back in the late 60's. It doesn't owe me anything either.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Love the thread.

I have sat here and have read everyone's post. For the better part of 30 minutes I have sat and thought of how I could add to it.

As my gerbil has limped on his wheel of thought I have thought of my grandparents, aunts and uncles and mother in law who has gone before us. I have thought of the tools they used the TVs we watched appliances used, clothes they wore; the crafts and skills they used and had and I feel slighted.

I would trade almost every tool and appliances I have for the quality and craftsmanship and value of yesterdays; for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Thanks again for the thread. It has brought back some very fond memories of very special people.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage Angler View Post
    We used to park in the back row and put one speaker on either side and crank 'em up.
    Did you ever use the free admission feature of your car in those days? My buddy had one that fit four and it DIDN'T have a glow-in-the-dark emergency release.

Hey if Heritage and I are making y'all jealous; try this one on for size. One town not too far down the road from one of our drive-ins still has a band shell in the park AND concerts!

Not it's NOT Mayberry...

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    Did you ever use the free admission feature of your car in those days? My buddy had one that fit four and it DIDN'T have a glow-in-the-dark emergency release.
    Bamb - my first car was a VW Beetle. No room to hide in there! Back then, 5 bucks filled the gas tank. The windshield washer tank was pressurized by the spare tire! There was no fan for the heater or defroster - in fact, there wasn't a whole lot of heat anyways. No radiator (air cooled engine), oil bath air cleaner, and a screen for an oil filter. Wish I still had that car!

It's definitely not fly fishing, but if you have a good ear and are swift of foot you could walk the beach a bit fly casting and waiting for the drag clicker to click on that old Penn Squidder?
    Tim,

For what it's worth, I surf fish quite a bit and I'm still using my dad's and my grandad's Squidders...must have been made in the 60's. All I've replaced is the bearings and the drags (several times). I understand that Penn is discontinuing them

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

+ Reply to Thread