+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symetrically Challenged flies

Default Symetrically Challenged flies

Unlike the museum- or art-gallery-quality flies routinely featured in FAOL, many of the flies I have created in my first year of fly tying are decidedly lop-sided. (I prefer the term asymetrical. )

However, as I looked at my latest creation last night, I got to thinking about a recent program put on by our state's muskie fishing club. The guest speaker, a long-time fisheries biologist with Nebraska Game & Parks, talked about the importance of the lateral line and how predator species sense tiny water disturbances to identify the presence of prey, especially prey that may be injured. This disturbance, he said, explained the decades old popularity of lures such as the Daredevle among Esox fishermen. All species, however, are gifted with this sense, he said, and it is particularly important in low visibility situations.

So, now I have to wonder if my asymetrical wet flies and streamers might actually be advantageous. They certainly can't move smoothly through the water.

Any thoughts? Do any of you intentionally tie asymetrical bugs?

p.s. I have been known to rationalize my shortcomings in other aspects of my life.
    Last edited by OldBaldGuy; 02-08-2008 at 04:10 PM.

OldBaldGuy;

Get hold of some Dave Whitlock material....he's been around longer than, well, dirt!

His ties are known as "near 'nuf" this and "near 'nuf" that and they have been catching fish of all species for years. His philosophy is "any skuzzy critter that moves water and looks near 'nuf to what's being eaten" is good.

Don't fret; tie as best you can and keep catching fish. That's what it's all about.

Go fishing with a tying contest winner some time and see what the catch ratio is between you and he/she.

Presentation, presentation, presentation......

Regards, Jim

Any of the flies I put on this site are not art Quality.
    I do have some that are not as symetrical as others. They seems to work fine.

Rick

OldBaldGuy, I agree with Jim, however, I see a possible problem with an asymetrical fly twisting line. If this happens a heavier tippet sometimes helps.
    If at first you don't succeed,go fishing, then try, try again.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up "Asymmetrical Rationalizations"

Truth is (as I see it), perfect flies, the latest lure, and much else on the market for fishermen probably catch fishermen as often or more often than they catch fish.
    Asymmetrical flies, flies with wierd hackles, flies with ingredients missing, and just generally rough looking flies all still catch fish. I have continued to catch fish on a fly long after it started to get torn to shreds many times. Fish 'em and be happy, they'll catch fish often as not if you present them right. ................................ModocDan

"p.s. I have been known to rationalize my shortcomings in other aspects of my life."

My p.s....I have been known to rationalize my shortcomings in MOST aspects of my life.

Happy asymmetrical fishin'...................................M.D.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Ditto

What modocdan says, especially the part about rationalizing shortcomings in most areas of my life. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by OldBaldGuy View Post
    So, now I have to wonder if my asymetrical wet flies and streamers might actually be advantageous. They certainly can't move smoothly through the water.
    My flies are perfectly symmetrical! Now, my eyes are crooked... is that the same thing?

p.s. OBG, ask me about stump lake today and I will share with you my adventure!

My fly tying career started off with feeling the need to tie "perfect" flies. Too bad it took me a lot of yrs to understand the fish weren't perfectionists.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

The first flies that I tied were the equivalent of a 4 year old learning to print thier name (backward S's and all). The fish were like appreciative parents and grandparents and encouraged me to keep tying.

I am to the point now where fish treat me like a parent treats a teenager (where are you going with that, with whom, what is that smell, when will you be back, is this your best work?)

Man I can't wait for college.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Last edited by Lake Erie High Ball; 02-10-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: grammer
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Somebody earlier said something about leaders twisting when you cast an asymmetrical fly. That's definitely true and is the main reason symmetry is stressed in fly tying. However, that same person mentioned going to a heavier and/or shorter leader to reduce the problem. Also true, but not always possible with spooky fish (even bluegills get spooky in super clear or skinny water and require lighter/longer leaders sometimes). Keep aiming for symmetry in the patterns you tie because they will cast better, but also recognize the fact that the fish don't care, in fact, a less than perfect fly may be seen as a cripple or dead bug and thus an easier meal.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread