+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tube Flies?

Question Tube Flies?

I am looking at trying some tube flies on my Spey rod for rainbow trout in the Tongariro river. They are not available in NZ, so my question is does anyone know a reliable shop that will ship to NZ? Any info on Tube flies would be most welcome. Oh yes and do any FAOL sponsors sell them?
    Thanks.
    Mike.
    Last edited by Mike Thomas; 02-08-2008 at 01:33 AM.

Let me know how this works out for you, Mike. I might be able to bring along some tubes when we set sail in a month.

Mike -- there have been many FAOL posts on tubes. Search the fly tying section for "Tube Flies"
    Lately "Knots for tube flies" " Sea run Trout"

Google "Nordic Way" and one Welches Oregon shop shows lots of paterns for sale. www.flyfishusa.com.
    If you tie or have a fly shop in NZ see if they would tie a few. Very easy on a tube from a model airplane hobby store or hollow Q tips from your medicine cabinet. A nail in your vise will hold the tube while tying.

A couple of US fly catalogs show tubes for sale www.theflyshop.com A cone head trailing tube and www.StoneRiverOutfitters.com BILL

Thanks Guys, that's great info. The main problem I have is that no one in NZ stocks tube flies or even the Brass tubes or plastic tube to hook conectors so those web links are great, I will try to order some from the web.
    Once again thanks for all the help.
    Mike.

Mike In my answer above I said that the parts for tube flies are available everywhere and easily obtained. The tubes, aluminium,plastic and brass are in most model airplane hobby stores or the hollow Q tips in most medicine cabinets. The plastic tubing for the hook keepers from hospital feeding tubes that are disposed of buy the hundreds every day. Ask ,explain what you will use them for. I know a nurse,one tube 4 feet long.
    To hold the tube in a vice I use the nut end of a bicycle spoke. Take a tube to a bike shop so that you buy a spoke that the tube will fit over. Cut the length you want to hold the tube in the vise with a file.(hard steel) Put the spoke in the vice slide on the tube and tighten the nut to hold the tube in place. Others use a L bent nail--put the tube on a nail and slide it in the vise and tighten. Anything to hold it from rotating while tying. The flies in the U.S now sell for $4 and $5 each easily tied for less then 50 cents. As some say a box of 50 flies and you need only one hook if you dont get it caught in a tree BILL

Mike;
    As I gave to another member, on another thread here on tube flies....... this link has some very good and very basic, tube fly info. Hope it helps a little bit?!!
    http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/bctubeflies/index.html
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread