+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Traverse City area?

Default Traverse City area?

I am going to be in the Traverse City , MI area in Sept. or Oct. Is there any decent fly fishing streams around. I've never done any fishing in this part of the state so I don't have a clue what type of flies or sizes. I will also most likely going through the UP so streams there are also a possibility. Thanks

The Boardman river is the first one I think of in that area but there are others too. Depending on the stream, some will be closed after Sept 30th and others will be catch and release only for browns but you may find the salmon in the rivers. Bring trout rods and something bigger for the Salmon.

Consider a side trip down to Grayling, the Au Sable river. Or over to the Pere Marquette.

jk,

Too bad you can't come in June. Sept and Oct are salmon months. Last good mega hatch is the white fly the beginning of Sept on the AuSable Main big water around Mio. The regular season ends last day in Sept.snd I think all of the AuSable system down to the last dam closes. But many streams stay open so go to the Mich DNR site and get the regs.

Salmon fishing is an acquired taste. Big rigs, big water, big crowds. But many like it. Above all else - get a guide that knows what he is doing. There is an endorsed Orvis guide and shop in Traverse city. Also in Baldwin on the PM. Betsie River is also a good bet - start at the fish ladder on the dam. Also the Big Manistee up to the dam. But the Big M isn't for easy wading.

Salmon run the Boardman up to the dam and try the shoot over by Acme. This is all mainly spinning rod stuff with spawn bags and big hooks.

Good luck, fresh salmon are a hoot - hook them up and be ready for a half mile of chasing them - unless you are using heavy lined spinning gear. After they have been on the redd for a day, forget it. They are very spooky and you'll more often snag them as fair hook them. I consider them snags that move at that point.

Bob

There will be plenty of water on the Ausable still open for business:

Burtons to Wakely on the main stream

Chase to Smith Bridge on the south

and portions (if not all-can't remember) of the north

Good luck!

I stand corrected brookid.

I forgot they changed the regs. Might mention to jk that he can't keep any trout except rainbows. Doesn't effect me because I don't keep them anyway. BTW how do you fish trout this late in the season. Must be mostly wet? Maybe a few BWO hatch this late. Not sure what else.

This is completely foreign territory to me. Never fished these streams this late because we never could before. Let me know if I am missing something big.

Bob

Blog Entries

Consider this for a very rough idea:
    http://www.gateslodge.com/hatches.htm

You can also go back to the home area and navigate to the blog/journal. Shortly before you make your trip, it might give you some help.

Ed

Bob, Are you talking about the dam on the Boardman over by Union street?
    Where is the spot by Acme?
    I've fished the TC area alot but never went up towards Acme.

Default Bear Andrews

Might get in touch with Bear Andrews. He had a fly shop in the area for years and is very knowledgeable. He has a website I'm sure that can be Googled.
    Sweet

+ Reply to Thread