+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need A Backing Estimate ???

Default I Need A Backing Estimate ???

I would like to know about how backing I might be able to use with the following. I have a reel with a Mastery GPX # 8 line and 200 yards of 20 pound backing. How much 30 pound backing could I get on the reel with a Mastery GPX # 9 line? Could I expect 150 yards? Thanks for any help.

2. Default

It deepends on the brand of backing. I would say if it is the same specifics as the 20# then it would be closer to 100yds when in conjunction with going to a 9wt line. However, a smaller dia backing would of course allow for more to be used.
    This is all based on the fact the backing dia is going to go larger as is the fly line dia. and the reel being used.

[This message has been edited by Mi_salmonnut (edited 21 August 2005).]

3. Default

What reel are you putting this on?

Hi Leo,

I looked at a few different manufacturers specs and i found that when you go up one line size and use the same size backing you lose about 10% of your backing capacity. My best guess for the loss of capacity when going from 20 to 30 lb backing would be about an additional 40% loss.

Hope this helps some.

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com:543af]http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com[/url:543af]

Tioga number 8.

"Leo, search several reel makers. Some will give the amounts of 20# & 30# for their reels. Should give you a good % even if you don't find your reel listed." I thougt Castwell only gave good advice! You'll be hard pressed to find a manufacturer that is giving honest estimates of capacity. More capacity sounds better to consumers so they all lie about it.

I suggest that you change the backing to 50# test Power Pro. You'll retain your 200 yard backing capacity. I use 50# because I found the lighter GelSpun to be too small in diameter.

I think you'll be lucky to get 125 yds on there. Going up a fly line will cut things down by about 20% to 25% (~150-160 yds) and then going from 20 to 30 lb another +/-20% or so (left with ~120-130 yds). It's hard to be precise, since even different colors of 30lb backing from the same manufacturer have different diameters! But it's going to be tough to squeeze 150 yds on there with a 9-wt line. That's still quite a lot of backing really (when's the last time you honestly got 100 yds of backing off the reel and landed a fish??), but if you need more, perhaps get micronite 30 lb [url=http://www.cortlandline.com/catalog/micron.html:13d92]http://www.cortlandline.com/catalog/micron.html[/url:13d92] (that stuff is awesome!), more expensive but you'll get around 200 yds because it's a lot smaller diameter. You could also e-mail or call Tioga and ask them if they have experience with a gpx 9-wt and 30 lb backing. Other option is to cut off about 10 feet of fly line. That will add about 20 yds or so of backing.

Good luck.

-John

Sorry I made a mistake. The reel now has a number 9 line not a number 8 and 200 yards of 20 pound backing. I just want to change to 30 pound backing. Sorry.

10. Default

Well it shouldn't change much at all then.
    I was going off of the reel that I have that doesn't really hold the backing it claims to anyway. When I did a spare spool up in a larger line and larger backing it cut the amount of backing I could put on nearly in half.
    There aren't to many reels out there that hold what they claim.
    BUT, are you sure that you have 200yds of 20# backing on that reel with a 9 wt line? The Teton Tioga 8 is only rated to hold 200 yds with an 8 wt line.

[This message has been edited by Mi_salmonnut (edited 21 August 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread