+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one familiar with fly fishing for carp?

Default Any one familiar with fly fishing for carp?

I was wondering if anyone on here fish for carp? What techniques do you employ and what are some good flies to start with?

I have tried and haven't caught anything but that's 'cause they saw me! Here is a link that I saw when I was first interested in carping.

http://www.msu.edu/~connert/carpfly.htm

Also, you should really try a Google search. I typed in, "carp on the fly" and got 490,000 results so that should give you plenty of info!

When I went carping, I wasn't really expecting Carp but rather Smallmouth Bass and maybe Rainbow Trout. All I had really was a lot of streamers, one leech from a swap, and a "Guadalupe Green" I tied with Root Beer marabou. I didn't catch a thing, but got a few follower before they saw me, so the next time I go out, I am gonna try something a bit smaller...

Hope this help, nen-bran

Thank you Nen-Bran. I heard you have to sight fish for them and they are extremely skittish. Thank you for the link!

Thumbs up

Hello JF,

First let me extend a warm welcome to FAOL. Always glad to see a new victim...I mean member. I personally don't go out looking for them on purpose, and wouldn't complain if I were to catch one. But there are some members here that say they do put up one heck of a fight and do fish for them actively.

For a first time poster your going to get a lot of hits to your question.

Enjoy this while I see if I can find some old threads from this past summer on Carp fishing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc8KGLbiAi8

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

JF

Found a couple of threads.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...highlight=Carp

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...highlight=Carp

Not the ones I remember from this past Summer. If you go up to the Search option and put in Carp You'll get a ton of hits. The really good threads I remeber were in late August early September time frame.

Again, Welcome to FAOL.

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Just Fish,
    If your looking to get into FF for carp I would suggest you get a copy of the book "Carp On The Fly A Flyfishing Guide" It has a lot of useful information on flyfishing for carp as well as a good selection of carp fly patterns

Bill

Blog Entries

Just Fish, it would also help if you would fill out a bit of your profile so we can get an idea where you are, etc... It may be that there are some FAOL'ers nearby who fish for carp and can give you local hints.

Ed

Thanks Five Dials for the links? I am a pretty experienced trout/steelhead fly fisherman. More so Trout, however, I am trying to expand my horizons. So this summer I was thinking about giving carp a shot. I hear it is similar to bonefishing. Which I also would like to do someday.

Thanks again!
    Shawn

Have had good luck with about anything in size 8-10 that will sink pretty quick (mini Buggers).

If they are feeding...rooting through the mud, just drop the fly out in front of where they are and twitch it around to flick a little mud on the bottom and HOLD on.

Let 'em take the fly and turn, then set the hook and let them run for a bit before turning them.

Very powerful fish but they can be played in if you don't try anything too quick or drastic, try to keep the play nice and smooth.

They are great fun to hook BUT keep in mind, you'll lose plenty of them so a quick, buggy tie is in order...at a buck or two a piece for commercial flies, they would get expensive.

I use either my 3 wts or the 5 wt with a 2x or 3x tippett, nothing complicated about it really. The good thing is if you spook a couple, just move on to another pod as Carp are plentiful in most areas. Also, if possible wade into the water near them and stand still a bit...they'll hear, see or feel your vibrations from the bank.

It only took me a couple of hours of trying to get pretty proficiant at "luring" them in.

Thank you brhoff. I'll have to give it a shot!

thanks again
    Shawn

+ Reply to Thread