+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mesh Vest

Blog Entries

Question Mesh Vest

OK Ive decided I need a vest for trout fishing and a pack for the canoe, Are Mesh Vest cooler than cloth or is mesh just a selling feature?

Any good or bad points re mesh over cloth

thanks

Eric

I like my mesh vest a lot. Its light and actually cooler then teh full fabric ones. The I have the fishpond mesh vest, and it doesnt retain water as much as other vests i have seen.

Default Mesh vest

I like mine Eric, though for the past number of years I've gone to chest packs. I don't mean the kind that have built in tying benches and rod building stations particularly, though they're ok, I mean the small, read SMALL sized chest packs that no matter how much I want to take I'm limited, so that way I'm not carrying that much extra weight.

The one I have now carries plenty and I attach most of what I use to the outside anyway so about all I have to dig around in pockets for are a few fly boxes plus...and this is big, I can carry all the required things in the backpack portion with no problem including a PBJ, license, extra forceps, whistle, etc.

So mesh vest V. chestpack.......well for me it's the SMALLER chestpacks now. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well, Eric, I had a mesh vest for around 15 years, and just loved it. I finally wore it out, and spring before last I bought a new Tree forks mesh vest from Cabelas. It has so many pockets, if I filled them all, I wouldn't be able to carry the thing.... I really like it.I find the mesh vests to be cooler, and plenty warm in cold weather, as I wear it over a sweatshirt, usually. as long as the thing is big enough to be roomy and comfortable.
    Last year, though, I was going more and more minimalist, and may go as far this year to just a lanyard, or a small mayfly pack or something that hangs around my neck or over one shoulder, like a creel. SMALL, though. Since I had my hip replaced last year, I always carry a staff, and less bulk makes it easier when wading. I still really love the vest, and use it about 50 -50. I've been noticing that I carry a lot more stuff than I really need, and an occasional trip back to the truck ain't no biggie......... ModocDan

Eric,

I started out with a cloth type vest, but found that air would not circulate well I was miserable at times. I tend to run hot. Switched to a mesh vest and found it to be noticeable cooler. I have had mine now for for over 5 years and love it. Hot or cold days mesh is the only type of vest I'll wear.

The only problem I have every have with mesh is when hiking through brush. Sometimes the branches snag on the mesh holes. Not really a problem, but an annoyance.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

For years , I had a Cabela's vest that had a lot of mesh. I really liked it except for one thing -- gradually I developed holes in the mesh and started losing things like thermometers, hook sharpeners, etc. I thought I was just being careless until I figured out I had holes everywhere.

I do think they are lighter and cooler but I avoid them now because of the mesh developing holes. I suppose a cloth vest will eventually also develop some holes; however, I think they will be easier to detect.

Just my 2 cents.

Once again ..."They don't make them like they used too".

I have had a mesh vest now for probably about 40 years...the mesh in it is the old style...looks the mesh of a window screen.

I also later got one with the newer mesh...the mesh is like round holes in the fabric...there is no comparison ...the old one is much cooler.....of course not as cool as when you use a lanyard...which is pretty much all I use now.

Eric,

I have vests but do not use them. I use a Filson strap vest with a back pouch plus up front side pockets for fly boxes. I got it when I made a purchase of a gentleman's fly fishing gear and it was in the gear. They are very nice, but, a little costly! I liked my mesh vest when I used it. The only thing about a vest whether mesh or cloth, at least for me, is the collar in the back kept pressing against the back of my neck and I would catch myself constantly reaching back and pulling the back of the vest down to relieve the pressure on the back of my neck. Now I know that is because the front of the vest probably had too much weight in the pockets, but, when I go fishing, I go for the day and I may hike anywhere from 1 mile to 3 miles away from my truck, so, I need everything with me that I may or may not need. (TP, camera, flies, extra reel, reel spools, etc.) The point about the mesh pockets holes is valid. One could purchase the iron-on patches for levis, etc, and iron them on the back side of the pockets on the mesh area and that would reinforce the back side of the pocket and should help with eliminating the holes getting large enough to allow items in the pockets to slip out. The above is the only problems I had with vests and the main problem is the weight on the back of my neck which would give me a headache. I think if you look around, someone makes a vest that is cut lower around the back of the neck areas and this should solve the problem.

Overall, mesh vests are cooler and they make them that they call a wading vest which is cut shorter so that you can wade into deeper water without the items in the pockets getting wet.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Did I read "vest" and "canoe" in the same question? Only one to get. No choices. You know the one. (hint,,, we both use them)

Absolutely, positively. Because of the part of the country I live/fish in, I often find myself fishing in 90+ degree, ultra-high humidity, sunny summer conditions. I originally had a cloth vest and was absolutely miserable on those days, particulary around the shoulders and neck. Switched to the exact same vest in mesh and have never had an uncomfortable day again. I can't imagine buying any other type again.

+ Reply to Thread