+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Improve Fly Fishing?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

No one has mentioned ... start up a fabulous website all about fly fishing ...run it with tons of class.... make sure the members stick to the rules in a polite orderly way so it cannot deteriorate into one big flame war.... fill its membership with a large number of very friendly sharing people some of whom are genuine characters ..... Add in some very good Sponsors carefully screened that have wonderful product lines at reasonable prices and service...... Call it FAOL ..... then watch it grow and flourish in the finest tradition...... Yep Deanna, that's what I'd recommend to improve fly fishing. Oh! wait! Someone has already done that.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 02-05-2008 at 03:33 AM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Make a rod and reel a kid would want. My son and daughter ask my wife and I can we have a new fishing pole this year? My son wants a Spiderman and my daughter a princess. If spin rod manufacturers can make them, why not fly rod manufactures?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Smile how can we improve fly fishing

I dont know if what I say will help but it might. The next time you are on the trout stream and you see some one beating the water trying to learn to cast and be a fly fisherman. Dont shake your head and smile or say something smart to your buddy. Give him some of your time and help him in a polite way

standstall

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by standstall View Post
    I dont know if what I say will help but it might. The next time you are on the trout stream and you see some one beating the water trying to learn to cast and be a fly fisherman. Dont shake your head and smile or say something smart to your buddy. Give him some of your time and help him in a polite way

standstall
    That is an excellent idea! Too often we criticize or make jokes at the expense of others when we should take the time to lend a helping hand.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Standstall,

Did just that last fall on a local river. Wound up telling the guy why his 3 wgt line wouldn't work well with his 7 wgt rod. Got my 5 wgt rig and let him try a rod and line that matched. Gave a few hints to improve the casting and he got a few nice casts.

Saw him a couple of days later buying a new line to match his rod.

REE

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Default Help the Boy Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    What about forming a Fly Fishing Club where you can share all the stuff that bambozzle posted and bring in the sons, daughters, grandsons and granddaughters? Do some stream clean up, etc.
    I can't make any suggestions for the young ladies in your life, but a great way to get more boys into flyfishing is to volunteer to teach a flyfishing merit badge course at your local Boy Scout Troop.

Our local FFF Club is doing something to attract individuals and families to fly fishing and fly tying. Each year our March meeting is called the Fly Tying Marathon, where we have light snacks and soft drinks, and tie flies all evening in lieu of a formal speaker. This year we are turning that evening into an open house for anyone who wishes to come look at our club, and we'll have extra instructors on hand to help with a beginner fly tying area for anyone who wants to try their hand at tying, and they get to take the flies home with them. Plus, the visitors will get to see a variety of different flies being tied by dozens of out members. All this at no charge to the visitor. We've advertised in the local paper's Outdoors section, our libraries, as well as local fly shops and retailers, and are hoping for a good turnout.

Extending a welcoming hand to our hobby/sport and providing education in the best practices and etiquette will pay big dividends down the road. We also need to remove the "mystery" of fly fishing, because that only keeps people from trying it. There will always be the snobs, the elitist, and the selfish individuals who think our streams are overcrowded, so it is incumbent on us to offset those negative aspects of fly fishing with good education at an affordable price (or free if possible). Getting kids involved at an early age will also help perpetuate fly fishing.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by PAangler View Post
    I can't make any suggestions for the young ladies in your life, but a great way to get more boys into flyfishing is to volunteer to teach a flyfishing merit badge course at your local Boy Scout Troop.
    I like the twist this thread has taken.

Now, as you all know, every worthwhile trend begins in Nebraska and spreads from here to both borders and coasts. (Some, like our Unicameral legislature, just take a little longer to catch on.) Nebraska Game & Parks has a "Certified Youth Fishing Instructor" program where volunteers conduct free learn-to-fish clinics for kids statewide. NGPC also has started a volunteer Fishing Host program at selected state parks to introduce adults and families to the joys of fishing.

Your state may have something similar. Have you volunteered?

Blog Entries

Lightbulb take a congressman fishing

or any other sort of elected official, local, state, or national, because these are the folks who can get something done if they really want to. it will take a lot of time, like a lot of worthwhile efforts, bit it will pay off if even only a few fall in love with the outdoors. fly fishing trips can be cheap, too, so you won't run up against any of the laws about freebies for legislators. the developers can take people to lunch all they want; it's time for us anglers to schmooze as well.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread