+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer Hair Poppers N Bugs

Thumbs up Deer Hair Poppers N Bugs

I've struggled a lot every time I've attempted to tie spun hair flies. For some reason, I just couldn't make it work like others, so I pretty much just gave up on it. Well, today I stumbled on an awesome and MUCH easier way to turn out some sweet deer hair creations. Check out Charlie Craven's website and tutorial on a Deer Hair Diver. He has some very interesting tips to making these things turn out well. It is a long process, but we all know how long a deer hair bug can last if its tied well. Check out this tutorial here: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=38.

What do you guys think about this? Maybe not your traditional method, but the fly sure looks cool.
    Leave No Trace

I have GOT to get me some more colors of deer hair.
    I've spun it a few times for muddlers, and even packed it on a few "trial" bugs (they're "trial" because they looked so rough when I was done ), but the effect isn't the same when all of the hair is the same, natural, color..

Very nice looking diver. I can tell I'm gonna need a LOT of practice. A whole lot!

Kirk

Amazing!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Guys,

Other than the plastic bag (which you won't need after some practice) it's pretty much how it's done 'normally', as far as I can tell.

(Steaming is a trick that most who spend a lot of time with deer hair eventually get to, it does make a bit of a difference).

So, did I miss something? (I just skimmed it, so I could of missed something big there...)

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I agree with buddy. It's stacking rather than spinning. But he turns out a very nice looking fly . . . . The plastic bag is a useful tool. I used it at the end to tie the fly off, I have not used it in the middle like shown . . .

I had trouble with deer hair, until I bought Chris Helms video . . I think it's called "spinning deer hair". It's a great step by step video on tying/spinning hair bugs.

-wayne

Most bug tyer's use stcking method's rather than spinning method's...Dahlberg ties his diver's pretty much the same...and it's every bit as durable as spinning, If the right thread's and technique's are used..I rarely spin deer hair anymore when making bass bugs...Depends upon the effect I'm trying for with the hair.
    Last edited by billknepp; 02-02-2008 at 03:46 PM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I almost always 'stack' hair for topwater bass flies. Spinning works for dry fly bodies and for muddler heads, but I can control color better and get denser heads for the bass stuff by stacking it.

Buddy

THX for posting. That will make this spring's tying rush that much easier!

So when stacking and or spinning deer hair, which thread works the best?? I've used monocord, kevlar, and gudebrod g.

CRD,

I use either Kevlar, Monocord, or 10 pound spiderwire braid (GSP).

All of them seem to work just fine, but I find that I cut less hair with the Monocord or Spiderwire. The straight Kevlar seems to slice right through if you aren't careful.

I avoid the Gudebrod 'rodwrapping' threads because they are too thick for me for this application.

Buddy

+ Reply to Thread