+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reel Seat Question

1. Default Reel Seat Question

Why do I not see rods with the reel locking down instead of up. I have the option to build my rod with the reel toward the bottom and the lock nuts screwing down toward the butt. This appears to be a better way to counter balance the rod but I don't see any on the market that have them that way. What are the pros & cons of this?

Tallyfly

There was a thread that might answer your question just a short time ago
    uplock, downlock, no lock - FAOL BB
    Be sure to read oyster's post (#4)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Good question.

My local rod building supply retailer seems to have mostly up lock but he always has a few down lock reel seats. I know the up lock is by far more popular currently. One reason I have heard is that an up lock moves the reel away from the very end of the rod making the reel less likely to come in contact with ground and possible damage. It also allows for a short distance between the reel and the butt of the rod in case you need to hold the rod against yourself in fighting a fish with a rod having no fighting butt. I don't see these as major advantages over the down lock which allows for better balance.

Dr Bob

On the flyrods I build for myself I prefer downlock reelseats. These are 6wt. and lighter except for one 8wt. which I built with a downlock seat & a 2in.fighting butt. I also favor for myself a cap & ring reelseat for 4wt.and lighter.
    If at first you don't succeed,go fishing, then try, try again.

Default up down

I have seen plenty of down lockers out there. Most every one has them. I prefer uplocking becaue in the process of fishing I tend to not knowingly loosen the top locks and the reel gets loose. Am I holding rod right? Dunno, don't care. Point is when I fish with a down lock I tend to rub the rings and loosen them. This does not happen to me with uplocking rings. They stay tight all day when I fish. I think partially due to the gravity weight of the reel itself applying downward force on the rings....perhaps.....and I say only perhaps\.....helps keep them secured instead of working lose.

+ Reply to Thread