+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what's in YOUR warranty?

Blog Entries

Default what's in YOUR warranty?

the lifetime/all inclusive nature of good fly fishing gear warranties has always amazed me. now there is conclusive proof that this is spreading:

two years ago i bought a pair of Smith ski goggles that have a little fan in them to disperse condensation. this saved my skiing because i have to wear glasses and i have to wear goggles with them. well, last week the little fan didn't work any more, so i sent the goggles back to Smith to get fixed.

Smith called up to say they couldn't fix them. oh, i says... but, the lady says, we can send you a new pair. fine, i says, but will my special corrective lenses fit the new pair? oh, yes, she says. what color did you want, she asks. so we go on about color and mailing address and new adapter for the corrective lenses and so on, and finally i haul out the credit card and with my heart in my mouth i say, now how much is this going to set me back?

oh, nothing, she says.
    you're kidding, i says.
    oh, no, there was a defect and we're replacing them.

i nearly fell out of my chair.

so inside of a week i have my new goggles and new adapter and i'm telling everyone that Smith optics is one great company. last week i read that companies that have good customer service reputations are those that solve problems that arise, not necessarily those that have no problems in the first place. sounds about right to me!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    the lifetime/all inclusive nature of good fly fishing gear warranties has always amazed me. now there is conclusive proof that this is spreading:

two years ago i bought a pair of Smith ski goggles that have a little fan in them to disperse condensation. this saved my skiing because i have to wear glasses and i have to wear goggles with them. well, last week the little fan didn't work any more, so i sent the goggles back to Smith to get fixed.

Smith called up to say they couldn't fix them. oh, i says... but, the lady says, we can send you a new pair. fine, i says, but will my special corrective lenses fit the new pair? oh, yes, she says. what color did you want, she asks. so we go on about color and mailing address and new adapter for the corrective lenses and so on, and finally i haul out the credit card and with my heart in my mouth i say, now how much is this going to set me back?

oh, nothing, she says.
    you're kidding, i says.
    oh, no, there was a defect and we're replacing them.

i nearly fell out of my chair.

so inside of a week i have my new goggles and new adapter and i'm telling everyone that Smith optics is one great company. last week i read that companies that have good customer service reputations are those that solve problems that arise, not necessarily those that have no problems in the first place. sounds about right to me!
    Your last statement hit the nail on the head! I have seen bad reviews for products that were faulty & negative feedback posted on Ebay BEFORE a problem even had time to be resolved. ANY & EVERY company or seller has had product/service problem or failure at one time or another (or will). I most often base my buying decisions on how a company has resolved problems when they do arise. I just bought a new Garmin C340 GPS for the Jeep. The single most helpful review was by a man who rated it 3 (out of 5) in 2005. He updated that review with Garmin's problem resolutions 2 or 3 times, & by 2006 or early 2007 they had resolved all his issues & he now recommends this unit. Review can be viewed on Amazon..it's listed in "most helpful critical reviews".

Great post!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Yeah there is a lot of great customer service, But you definately pay for it when you first buy the product.

I do agree though, Nothing like good customer service. I had a vice issue a little while back, the sleeve around the jaws cracked. Lifetime warranty so I E-mailed them and all I have to do is send in the jaw/handle part for replacement not the whole thing. And I would just have to pay shipping one way which would only be about 2.00. They said it would be back to me with in about 3-5 business days. I like that kind of service....Still haven't sent in the vice though
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Honored to have Smith as a long time sponsor. We use them of course. I do think they are the best.

Neither good service or good products have to be backed by a lifetime warranty.

I've got excellent service from many companies who admit when they are at fault and take care of things and I'm talking about stuff that costs less than a pack of gum with NO warranty. I've also fought with other outfits when it is definitely their problem and I have a warranty.

Smart companies get it, and obviously Smith is one of them; but many of the others are afraid that without the warranty many of us will exclude them from a purchase so they warranty stuff but make it difficult even when it is their fault.

I don't mind the lifetime warranty thing but I don't shop for it. I have found a little courtesy on my end when explaining the problem and some understanding on theirs will most times resolve any issues that arise in my world with or without "protection"; AND they will have me as customer for life.

Good job Smith Optics!

+ Reply to Thread