+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod opinions

Default Rod opinions

Hi,
    My son's birthday is coming up in a couple months and I want to get him a new rod for a trip to Yellowstone we're planning this summer.

I want to get him a 4wt in 8'6" to 9' length. Unfortunately, there are no shops close by where I can have him cast a bunch of rods.

He currently fishes with a Cabelas stow away 5 piece rod 7'6" 4 wt. He really likes the rod and the way it casts.

So, here's what I'm looking at all 4 piece rods.

Echo Classic
    TFO Pro Series
    Sage Launch
    Scott A2
    TFO Finnesse

Making a rod is not in the cards. I barely have enough time to fish let alone learning to build a rod and getting good enough at it to have one that he would be proud to own by April.

So, what are your thoughts? Which ones sould I consider that are not on the above list?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff, not on your list, but a really great rod, is the Powell line of rods.(MY opinion, only of course!)
    You can check Sierra Trading post. Currently, they have Powell Advantage XL rods on sale, for $119.95, in 7'-6"x4wt.......8'-9"x3wt......9'-0" in 4-5-6wts. With hard case, included. I have two of these Powells and really like them.
    (They're normally around $200.00 to $225.00, depending on who's selling them)
    I also have a couple of TFO rods and they're also a very good piece of equipment!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

I'm sponsored by TFO, but I wouldn't use them if I didn't like them and they didn't perfrom up to my expetations. With that in mind, you will not go wrong with the TFO Finesse. It's a little better and faster than the Pro Series.

I have a TFO 3-weight and TFO 2-weight in the Pro Series and I like them very much. I also have a TFO 1-weight Finesse.

I read an article recently that compared 4-weights from several different makers. TFO wasn't named the best, but it did well in going up against rods that retail from $500 to $700.

TFO meets my criteria: They look good, feel good and cast good. And the price fits most anyone's budget.

Good luck!

Normand Guest

st croixs are nice too

I'm curious as to why you want to get him another 4wt., especially when you are considering rods only another 12 inches longer.

I seldom fish less than a 5wt and usually a 6wt on western trout waters as the wind can blow like the devil.

Just my 2 cents. BTW, I have three St. Croix rods and love em. but, I also believe as a wag observed that 99% of the rods available today are better than 99% of the casters.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGibson View Post
    I'm sponsored by TFO, but I wouldn't use them if I didn't like them and they didn't perfrom up to my expetations. With that in mind, you will not go wrong with the TFO Finesse. It's a little better and faster than the Pro Series.
    I have two TFO Pro's and like them a lot. I would not say the Finesse is better or faster, though. My impression is that it's much slower than the Pro.

I agree that if he's got a good working 4wt, add 5 or 6wt to the mix and give him some range... if you walked into our shop I would probably be steering you toward the 6. I really like the Launch 5 and 6wts., nice progressive taper that'll work well in a variety of environments, and provides great feedback while developing skills, and beyond. Sage also packages the Launch with a complete rig, but the line and reel are marginal IMO... not that you need a train stopping reel, but the line is key... I would buy the components separately.

I really like seeing passed on, have fun and good fishing!

TL's~
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

My son was recenty faced with the same dilema. He needed a 9ft. 8 wt and doesn't fish alot so didn't want to spend alot of money.

He settled on a Reddington.

Depending upon the kind of action your son likes and how much you want to spend there are lots of options. I also like some of the other Cabela rods - like their FT but it may be more than you want to spend.

I would also look at Beulah rods, Elkhorn rods, and Reddington rods. Check their web sites.

You can probably get into all of these for less than $200. The reel and line will obviously add to the overall cost. Some have combinations that include reels but I have found the reels to be on the cheesy side and would avoid them.

I am a believer that you get what you pay for - especially with reels.

Overall, I think you are one the right track with what you are considering.

Jeff,

Checkout ebay. I picked up a brand new Sage FLi 480 2 pc for less than a new 490 Sage Launch at retail.

Nice smooth fast action rod.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Rod Opinions

Jeff:
    Hello. I recently built the TFO 8' 9" 4 wt. Finesse blank and really like the rod. It has a moderate action and is great for small to medium size trout, bass and panfish. It looks like most of the rods you are considering are from Asia. I would take a look a Redington rods. I think they are the best rods that are made over seas. I have a CPS 905/4 and the new RS4 904/4 and feel they are both excellent rods. The CPS is very fast and the RS4 is a medium fast action. Redington uses very good componets and their workmanship is first rate. Also, the Sage FLi is a great rod for the money. It has a medium fast action and is a great all around rod. As others have said you might want to consider a 5 wt. It is still light enough to cast very small flies and have fun with small fish. But will handle up to a size 6 fly well, cast well with windy conditions and handle fish over 5 lbs. with no problems.

Lanny

+ Reply to Thread