+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why brim swat surface flies?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Unhappy Why brim swat surface flies?

Hello All,

I've asked this question before but we have lots of new people at FAOL and I'm hoping that I might get a definitive answer. I love to fish for brim on the surface during those warm spring days which will be coming soon. Most of the time, I catch fish after fish on Griffith Gnats, EHCs, and Gurgle Pops. But, there are those occasional days where the fish are very active but refuse to actually "bite" the fly. They vigorous swat the fly with their tail or roll their whole body over the fly, often with a major splash. I set the hook on these "false strikes" again and again without a hook up. I should add that this often occurs to the total amusement of various onlookers who already think that fly fishing very strange and highly deviant. "That wouldn't happen with worms, ya know!"

Two questions.

Why do brim show this aggressive behavior toward a poor little fly if hunger isn't the motive? Even if they are bedding, surface flies present little threat to the nest. Just meanness? Just for fun? Just for laughs?

What do you do when this situation occurs? I've tried going to wets but often more often than not, the brim continue to toy with these as well. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts on this dilemma. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 01-30-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Blog Entries

trying to kill it or get it to sink where it can be consumed at leisure. The surface is dangerous place for a small fish to linger near. Those are my thoughts.

I agree with what Robin posted. I know it's difficult, but don't move the fly after they do that. Sometimes they will then take the fly.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

When that happens with trout I drag the fly quickly about a foot to sink it then wait. Doesn't always work but sometimes prompts a strike.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quite ofen, when the female brem are bedding, the male will sort of stand guard and raise a ruckus at an intruder. Well, at least that's what the sophisticated brem do in these parts!
    But keep on presenting the fly or popper until he gets aggravated enough to bite it!

Dale

Smile

I think they know people are laughing at you and they do it as revenge for sticking hooks in their cousins.

The "kill the fly so it sinks and can be eaten sub surface" sounds like a good story and may be believable for those "scientific types" who seek answers through logic and repeatable experiements.

The rest of us know it's the fish's way of humiliating us and exacting their own form or punishment upon our egos.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jeff

Try fishing a fly that rests just under the surface. MOre of an emerger type fly.

Rick

Why brim swat surface flies?

For the same reason we swat them! They are annoying!

Sorry, I just could not resist!! : )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

ive had that happen too, and what i think it is is that they are trying to kill it so they can eat it when they want. they may want to eat it but feel their is danger near the surface, and if they wait they might lose it, so they kill it so they can eat it when they feel it is safe. just my 2 cents

I think it is just missing the fly or changing it's mind at the last second.

Blue gill rise to the surface FAST to get food and turn around faster and descend back even faster. It may be that it is just the APPEARANCE that they are "swatting" when in actuality they are just hitting the surface and getting back down as fast as they can.

+ Reply to Thread