+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saltwater lines

Default Saltwater lines

Winter Greetings,
    I just bought a new saltwater rod. I got a TFO Lefty Kreh 9ft 9wt (Med. Fast) and I want to line it correctly for fishing. About the only saltwater fishing I get to do is down at the OBX around Oregon Inlet and 90% of it is wading. What would be a good economical intermediate and sinking tip line to get.
    Thanks,
    Rev. Mike

Rev, I like the Cortland 333 lines... been using them for years
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Rev, you have lots of choices. You can certainly make "freshwater" lines work in Oregon, but you asked about saltwater lines. I like the S/A series of mastery lines- the "streamer or wet tip express", "saltwater" and "striper" tapers all cast large flies well in the extreme conditions often associated with saltwater. Rio also makes some good saltwater lines, their "clouser" series is a favorite. I also like the Orvis wonderline striper series for casting large flies. For your situation, I would stay away from any of the "tropical' or "bonefish" etc type lines.

None of the above lines at full retail are what you would call inexpensive, but I have purchased several of these lines from Ebay for under $30.

Guy

For an inexpensive floater. Nothing beats the Cabelas Prestige at $39. It casts well and handles big flies.

Smile Many Thanks

Thanks guys,
    I have always liked Cortland and have used them on nearly all my freshwater rods. I didn't know how good SA Master Series was and my preference is not towards the regular ol' SA lines, so that info is very helpful. I'll have to go check some of them out and see which I like the best since they're all pretty much the same cost wise.
    At least I have a good six months until my beach vacation.
    Thanks for the help.
    Rev. Mike

I have many models of Rio, Teeny, and SA saltwater lines (bonefish, tarpon, general) and they are all great. However, my last line was a cabela's prestige plus and I am very impressed. Lots cheaper than the others. I think it is made by SA.

+ Reply to Thread