+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felt vs. Aquastealth

Default Felt vs. Aquastealth

With the possible cross contamination issues that can face us anglers nowadays, I've been thinking of trading in my felt soled boots and switching to the Aquastealth soles. I'm looking for some experienced opinions on the difference of these two soles. Are they pretty comparable when it comes to gripping the stream bottom? I fish a few streams that have many, many slick round rocks that are just begging to be slipped on. I occasionally slip when wearing felt soles, so I don't want to downgrade when it comes to grip. Does anybody have any opinions on this?

Jeff
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

FF:

If you go with Aquastealth, get the studded version. While I have both types, I really only use unstudded Aquastealth in situations where I know the wading will be easy. I use the studded version everywhere else and I've been very happy with their performance. I'm unfamiliar with what wading is like in the East, but studded Aquastealth works fine on the Western freestone rivers I'm most familiar with.

I'd strongly recommend you do a search of FAOL on this also, because this topic has come up many times in the past.

I agree, I think like eliminating the use of lead in fishing, the days of the felt sole are numbered because of the comtamination issue. I suspect it's only a matter of time before some state bans felt, and then another, and another, so we might as well get used the the idea of a replacement.

Is Aquastealth as grippy on slippery rock? No way. I have boots with Aquastealth soles and they are by no means the equal of felt soles. Not even close! I'd strongly recommend that if you fish anywhere you might encounter slippery rock, you add studs or buy boots that have studs in them. That's the only way to give AS anywhere near the grip of felt on slime-covered rock. I added studs to my Simms and that vastly improved the grip.

For me the big advantage of AS is that unlike felt, it does not collect a thick layer of snow and ice in the winter, and it sheds mud easily. This is a big advantage for me because felt is absolutely leathal anywhere there is ice. The slipperiest substance known to man is ice when stepped on by a wet felt sole. You WILL be taking a fall if you step on ice with felt soles.

Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by The Famous Grouse View Post
    The slipperiest substance known to man is ice when stepped on by a wet felt sole. You WILL be taking a fall if you step on ice with felt soles.

Grouse
    Amen to that. I've found out the hard way a time or three that ice and felt don't mix. As far as studs go, I don't think I would wade without them anymore.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Fishin' Fool:

I have every type of wading shoe bottom there is from wool felt through studded Aquastealth. I also live & fish in PA. I don't know where people are fishing who rave about Aquastealth but it is NOT at the top of my list of grippy shoe bottoms.

It plain stinks on slippery rocks and even the studded version leaves a lot to be desired in the same conditions. I ONLY use the non-studded variety in a few sandy/gravel bottomed streams and reserve the studded versions for slightly rockier places with not much slime. Studs are also a catch-22 because in some creeks where I fish; protruding studs slide BADLY on hard bare rocks.

For that reason; I find that either plain felt or studded felt ends up being my choice 99% of the time. Oh sure Aquastealth has some advantages like quick drying, long lasting, no snow accumulation in winter and no absorption of fuglies that can contaminate a stream.

BUT before you beat yourself up about cross contamination; consider that least in the case of Didymo; you need to clean and completely dry your ENTIRE SHOE and ANYTHING ELSE that comes in contact with an infected stream. That includes shoes, waders, gravel cuffs, flies, wading staff or anything else that could have potentially picked up any of the algae. Even an Aquastealth shoe could contaminate if the algae sticks to the insole or other part of the shoe that is porous.

Anything less than that regimen or several completely different sets of fishing attire for infected & non-infected streams is taking a chance despite what you read; are told or want to believe. It just like believing every fish you release will live to fight another day; it may make you feel better about catch & release but it just isn't true.

I choose to NOT FISH at all in any stream that has been declared infected. It's the only way I can be sure I'm not contributing. In the mean time I'll never give up my felts. In the grand scheme of things migrating waterfowl who DON'T soak their feet in Clorox and careless anglers will guarantee that these organisms will spread regardless of how many Aquastealth soles are out there.

I'd rather concentrate on not breaking my neck.

Sorry for the rant...

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Contamination concerns as they are addressed by sole type, don't address the interior contamination of the boot, which could include the unseen hiding places in seams, insole and heel inserts and even contamination of the porous woven shoe laces or the padded ankle cushions.
    We're battling several organisms, at this point, short of abstention, I don't see an absolute remedy being derived from any one sole type or compound.

Now if we can just get every other water sport enthusiast to dry and decontaminate their equipment we might get a handle on the issue.... some examples: kayakers and their users togs, boaters ( live wells and bilge issues ) boat trailer frames, rafters and even little Jeffery who wants to take home a frog in jar, all are potential cross contaminators.

I have two pairs of boots of the same model, one with un-studded felt and the other with studded Aquastealth

I prefer Aquastealth for:
    Use in or around snow, for longer walk ins, for sand, gravel or small cobble bottoms and easy wading.

I prefer Un-Studded Felt for:
    Larger cobble to boulder sized rock and mossy surfaces.

We'll continue to do our part. Anyone know if the makers of 409 make a wading boot travel and decontamination container?

All the best, Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 01-29-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: sp.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
    Amen to that. I've found out the hard way a time or three that ice and felt don't mix. As far as studs go, I don't think I would wade without them anymore.
    And it's always a HARD fall too, the kind where both your feet come all the way out from under you and you lay horizontally in the air for that split nanosecond. Then a sheet of ice cracks you in the back of the head. Ouch.

Felt soles + Ice = Pain. And not for the ice. Beware.

Grouse

[quote=The Famous Grouse;205156]And it's always a HARD fall too, the kind where both your feet come all the way out from under you and you lay horizontally in the air for that split nanosecond. Then a sheet of ice cracks you in the back of the head. Ouch.

Felt soles + Ice = Pain. And not for the ice. Beware.

had it happen this W/E.. Still sore!!
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

What's already been said, has been WELL said, as to "cross contamination", etc. And, the points made, about snow, ice, etc.
    But, to answer your "direct question"........ "does Aquastealth soles, equal felt for grip",
    NO! I started out, trying this "revolutionary wading sole", by buying a pair of LLBean's AS soled boots. Wore them for a half hour, fishing and LIMPED back to my rig to change boots! (Thankfully, not trusting them before hand, I'd also packed along my older, felt bottomed, soled boots too!).
    I sent them back, to Bean's, for a full refund with a letter as to "why" I was returning them. Next, I looked around and found the "Korker's Multi-soled boots".
    BEST, investment I've made so far, in gear!!

They have the AS soles, available in both studded and non-studded versions. They come with a "hiking sole", (non-Aquastealth), and a felt sole. I was given, to try out, the AS soles with the studs, too. I can walk, into and out of, places wearing the hiking sole and then easily switch to the felts, and/or, the felt stud combo, when I reach the water. I've refused, so far, to risk my behind again, by trying the AS with the studs.

But, as has been pointed out............... "the FELT SOLE is only a very minor transporter of contamination". Gators, waders, the REST of your boot, even your fly line, and flies, can cross contaminate other waters you visit, so JUST your "felt soles" are by no means to blame!
    I would, never, suggest the Aquastealth soles, for safe wading. At least, not here on Oregon's slick as snot rivers and streams!
    Some boot manufacturers state the "their studs are super hard, super tough", and that, in itself, tells me "I'm going to slip and fall, wearing their studs". Because "super hard" and "super tough" studs, DON'T flay out, like softer studs, will do, to grip a rock's surface like a stud SHOULD DO! They're like waking on pin heads, across slick rocks, and that's why so many slip and fall while wearing the "super tough" studs.
    Get felts, and/or, AS soles w/studs, in a semi soft metal stud configuration. Your studs may wear, faster, sure, but you WON'T slip and fall as readily, either!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've used both and I totally prefer the studded aquastealth. By itself, it doesn't grip as well as felt, but add studs and it's even better. I live in NYS and we get quite a bit of snow. The snow builds up on the felt bottoms and is a pain walking around in. You don't have that problem with aquastealth. I also like it better for hiking to a spot and for getting through things like clay and mud.

+ Reply to Thread