+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring Trout

Default Spring Trout

How is everyone!? I'm fairly new to stream trout fishing, as the closest trout stream is 200miles away. Yes southwest MN has dirty water. Too bad. There are a few lakes that are designated stream trout lakes only 3hrs away.
    I am looking for any tips on early b.t. and r.t. fishing. Where to start on a lake? Are they feeding on minnows more or insects? Any advice would be great thanks.

nighthawk Guest

Cherv_72
    Welcome to the board. Though I do not know much about your neck of the woods you picked the right place to post. Lots of folks from your area. How 'bout it folks, care to help this fellow flyflinger out?

Speaking in general trout in lakes will continue to feed on insects just like in a stream, however, the larger fish will hammer minnows (streamers) quite well.

Blog Entries

Smile Minnesota

Here is a link to a site that has all kinds of links for fishing in Minnesota.

http://minnesotaonthefly.com/

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by Cherv_72 View Post
    How is everyone!? I'm fairly new to stream trout fishing, as the closest trout stream is 200miles away. Yes southwest MN has dirty water. Too bad. There are a few lakes that are designated stream trout lakes only 3hrs away.
    I am looking for any tips on early b.t. and r.t. fishing. Where to start on a lake? Are they feeding on minnows more or insects? Any advice would be great thanks.
    Unfortunately, Cerv, you fly fishing options are going to be limited if you're just thinking trout.

One thought, though. Is the open water season on rivers like the Minnesota closed? I mean, if you can ice fish on lakes, can you still fish bass and chub on the fly on open water? That ight be an option, but it's not trout of course.

If you venture east, look me up though. MN's winter trout season started in January. I was out yesterday and you aren't missing much so far, but you gottta to to know.

Grouse

+ Reply to Thread