+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use for scissors?

Default What do you use for scissors?

I did a search under scissors and didn't come up with a consensus so I thought that I would start a new thread. What does everyone use for scissors? Dr. Slick and Anvil seem to be popular but what specific model is your go to pair? I am thinking of a pair of Dr. Slick Micro points. Thanks for the help.

Rick

Normand Guest

i use dr slick

I use Dr. Slick Arrows

I use Dr. Slick curved arrow point and general purpose. I like them both for different reasons but mainly I use the curved arrow point it seems more natural to me.

I also use another heaver pair of generic scissors for hair and other items like wire so my main scissors don't get dull.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I use Slicks, but the last pair I got were made in Pakistan, so I'll probably dump 'em soon's I find a suitable U.S. made replacement. I also have a couple generics for wire and tougher stuff so's not to dull my Slicks......I'm big on made in USA........ModocDan

I use Dr. Slicks for light work like cutting thread close and such, but if I need to cut a small amount of hair I have a small pair of scissors that I had before I even started tying. I use several from a set of 5 from Henckels and the 4" ones I use all the time. I use some of the little larger ones at times, but for most all my feather and hair cutting I use the little really sharp and pointed Henckles.

I am pretty sure it's the small ones in this set that is on sale a good bit...
    http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-Inter...1528893&sr=1-3

Just think you can buy the entire set for $29 and give most to the wife and she's happy too, LOL!

Skip

I know the micropoint style scissors have their advantages but remember just one drop an the floor could destroy them. I've seen it done.
    Also for heavier duty work the serrated blade styles are a help.

I have tried various brands of scissors and never found any I really liked until I inherited a pair from my mother-in-law. She had used them for years. I have used this pair for literally hundreds of flies and they hold a good edge. I don't believe they would be good for real small flies like 18s or 20s. I like the spring action they have and they are not expensive.

Tim

Link: http://secure2.data-comm.com/servlet...-fdsh-4/Detail

I got my scissors at a fabric store
    They're not "official fly tying" scissors, but they seem to work fine anyway.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Clay I use the small Dr Slick and the same with all the kids tying class--be sure to buy a larger serrated 41/2 pair for deer hair. Fiskars for the rough work. BILL

+ Reply to Thread