+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak?

Default Kayak?

Before I get banned for the QOTW post, I have a question regarding kayaks. I'm contemplating a purchase and would like to know : I am 6'1" and "about" 210 lbs. I would like to know size, brand, model is SMALLEST kayak the would/should float my carcASS. I intend to use it for fish-floating the Snake and other larger waters. Any input would be appreciated lottsa. The size would be important for portability by one person, ME.
    Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Marco;

Go to [url=http://www.kayakfishing:758e0]www.kayakfishingstuff.com[/url:758e0] register (free) go to "Choosing a Kayak" and you'll have all the answers. However, from experience, try it first if at all possible.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jsentell (edited 15 August 2005).]

why the smallest? after fishing from a kayak for the past 7 years i'd suggest getting the biggest (length, not width). they track better and are easier to paddle. one tip--don't jump to the conclusion that you need something that has a very wide beam for stability. kayaks are much more stable than a canoe and i see people always assuming they want a wide yak to be stable but if anything they are tougher to paddle.

good luck

Hey there Jim;
    Thanks for the reply. I probably won't have the time to test float the thing cause I'm leavin for WYO in a coupla weeks. I wanted to get some kayak user input for that reason. But thanks again for the link, Ill punch it up and take a look-see.

Mark

------------------

Hey DM;
    THATS the kind of input I wanted. I can understand the reach/paddle problem but I needed to hear that. Thanks

Mark

------------------

Well I have not used mine in rivers yet that do not have man made dams but I plan to. I use a 9'6" kayak for my 6 ft 220 LBS frame in the salt and lakes all the time without issue. Just remember wider is much more stable and is more important then the length. I love the short length for ease in taking it down to launch points, sometimes as far as a mile.
    I also used a 9'1" Kiwi kayak for years without issue.
    Longer length kayaks will track better but the shorter lengths will turn quicker.
    Please remember not to anchor and fish from your kayak in an fast moving rivers. Use the kayak to get from spot to spot only and get out to fish if you are fishing any rivers like you find out here in the West.

Marco, I have a Prowler-13 and fish alot of ponds and lakes from it. I have not used it on rivers. It is a blast to fish from and you will get to go places most people can't fish. I also like the stealth aspect. I cruise up to fish without spooking them.

A longer Kayak tracks better and steers harder. A shorter one steers easier and is harder to get to track. Oceans and saltwater have plenty of room so that steering is not an issue, on the other hand a shorter one is easier on rivers and wetlands that have lots of twists and turns. I think an issue is the size of the opening. Some kayaks are very hard to get into and out of. I have a Pungo 12' that I use everywhere. It is not the best at anything, but rather is a wonderful compromise for ease of steering, tracking, ease of entry and exit and stability. I love it!

jed

Look at a Pungo from Wilderness Systems.

They are great little boats and darn near impossible to flip.

Trust me.... I have tried!!!!

------------------
    Ken

There is a fine line between fly fishing and and just standing in a river looking like and idiot.

I am bigger than 250 and feel a Pungo floated me adequately. (I ended up with an America by Perception because it was in stock, rigged to fish and I was ready to buy right then.) There are several boats in the same class as the Pungo. Go to a store if you can and at least sit in as many as you can to compare. Remember there is at least one sponser (where is the spell check key???) of FAOL that sells kayaks so go there and check them out also.

------------------
    Chuck Hitt

+ Reply to Thread