+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flyline repair

Default flyline repair

I was out fishing for smallies in the local river the other evening using my 5 weight and noticed a good size nick in my flyline.Is there an easy way to repair it?I`m still quite new to using a flyrod so any suggestions would be helpful.Thanks in advance.

Buy a new line.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

If a small nick, Pliobond may be applied to keep stuff from entering the core.
    .....lee s.

Same thing happened to me. Used pilo bond and the first time I stretched my line. Snap!

Buy a new line.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Where is the nick ,in the tip or back a ways. You may be able to fish it for a while before you replace it If it is very near the tip (2ft. or less) cut it off and retie your leader butt.

Rich

What kind of line is it? Weight Forward, Level, Double Taper, etc.....???

If it's Level, just cut off what you need to and keep going.

If it's Double Taper, just cut off where the damage is and reverse the line on the spool.

If it's WF, you can cut a bit off the front without damaging the casting qualities of the line. Maybe a foot or two, but not a lot.

------------------
    Ken

There is a fine line between fly fishing and and just standing in a river looking like and idiot.

I still say buy a new line, You now have a weak spot, the first big fish that puts pressure on that spot and the line will break. You also have a spot for water to get under the coating causing it to sink. Accept the fact the line is garbage. Jerry rigging it is a receipe for disaster. Or you can always keep it as a practice line for casting on the lawn or street.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited 17 August 2005).]
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Oh Lord! Hold me back!! No, I got to ask!!! Can you use it for Wiggle Legs??!! Cut off small peices and seal the ends?
    Cheapskate fly tier!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

It's quite simple to repair a line. Simply finish cutting it in two, then dip an inch of each end in fingernail polish remover. This will soften the coating so that you can scrape it off with your fingernail. Scrape of coating on each end until you reach an unaffected zone and trim the uncoated ends to about an inch long. Overlap the ends and proceed to whip them together with tying thread, 6/0 works well on 3-6 wts., 3/0 might be a better choice on heavier weights. Once whipped together, you can apply a thin coating of Pliobond or other glue of your choice. I've used this method many times without problems, and have never had one come apart. You might feel better to use a bit of thin superglue, but I've never seen a need for it. Just coat the wrap with Goop, ShoeGoo, PlioBond, etc., to protect the thread, and go fishing.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.You are a very helpful group.I`ve decided that I`m going to try to repair it using the method described by RG/AR.I will probably purchase a new line as well and keep the repaired one as a spare.Again thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread