+ Reply to Thread

Thread: grizzly lathe

Default grizzly lathe

I was thinking of getting one of these - a setup for clamping a drill into position to spin and chuck a grip into or a reel seat, but had a vision of having to hold the trigger of the drill down while spinning - surely you don't have to do that, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I was thinking of getting one of these - a setup for clamping a drill into position to spin and chuck a grip into or a reel seat, but had a vision of having to hold the trigger of the drill down while spinning - surely you don't have to do that, do you?
    Confused---Your title is a well known lathe---If your thinking of buying a Grizzly Lathe to turn a reel seat and grip you wouldnt need a drill. If your only using a electric drill you do have a problem. You can make something to lock the drill on a slow speed.

Wrong title - it's this one - http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H2669-.../dp/B0000DD399 - and how do you do those little titles like "here" instead of the whole url?

Blog Entries

on most drills there is a button that holds the trigger down, the picture shows a variable speed drill. If you used that type of drill the speed could be set then the button would hold the trigger down. I would think it would work ok for cork, anything heavier and I would be leary.

Eric

Since the question seems answered I'll risk a high jack...

If you wanted to turn down a cork grip on a fully mounted grip on the rod....can it be done or would it have to be disassembled?....a job for a rookie?

If someone else were to do it how would they know exactly the size desired?

I can actually answer that, cause I saw it done on the first custom rod that was built for me. The builder had the grip on the rod, but not the seat, and chucked the end of the blank into his rod turning lathe and sanded the grip down on the rod - I wouldn't think it would make much difference if you had the reel seat on, though, just a bigger chuck. As far as someone else doing it, you would probably have to outline a shape for him to follow.

Herefishy,Im not confused now that I know you weren't writting about a more expensive metal lathe with that same name. You can have the reel seat and grip on the blank and do the turning without a larger chuck. The reel seat has a cap that can be left off and a dowel can be snug fit inside the rod blank and taped. On the tail end of the lathe(right end) you wound need a hole with padding for the rod blank to fit thru while turning. The drill to rod with or without the seat can be done with a dowel. I have seen a home made lathe,all wood, motor with a chuck attached. Check these sites BILL

http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/lewis/grips/

http://www.littlemissouriflyfishing.com/customrods.html

+ Reply to Thread