+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New tyer.

Default New tyer.

Hello all I originally thought I would try tying up some globugs. I have a vise and a bobbin on the way. Now I'm thinking I want to try some other patterns. Honestly I never thought I would get interested in it, I was consumed with building rods and that kind of wore off when I accumulated enough rods to outfit a boy scout troop. My question I guess is what are some of the basics that would help me get started on a few patterns. I mostly fish for smallmouth so buggers, streamers 4-10 and craw imitators are big.There is really not alot of dry fly fishing to be had here..Is there a general hook and thread size that works well for them? I guess It would be ideal to find a kit without the kit. Not sure if this exists but just a general material list that would help me tie a couple of patterns would really help me out. Also can you tie flies with rod building size A thread? I have alot of it from my rod builds and don't think I will be using it much if it's a bad idea.
    Any help appreciated.
    Janus

Let me be the first to state what everyone else's first response would be:

"Go through the Beginning, Intermediate and Expert fly-tying instruction by Al Campbell."

That little gem is truly helpful.

However, as far as a materials list goes...the easiest and most effective way to do that is to pick out the flies you want to tie and get their recipes. then you can buy the quantities and materials you need for those flies only and you won't waste money on crap that you won't use. I don't know about size A thread, but I'd definitely suggest using the smallest diameter thread you can get away with for that particular fly. One of the biggest problems I have had learning is that I have a tendency to over-wrap things and they get bulky. It's also really easy to crowd the head. Leave more open hook-space than you think you might need so that you have enough room to tie a head without having to wrap it on top of material butts.

Also, if you ask the right person they just might have extra materials they could supply you with.
    Last edited by Wild One; 01-23-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Leave No Trace

Janus;
    Sorry, but "A" thread, unless you're doing pretty fair sized saltwater flies, is way too big for general fly tying. THAT'S the "fun" of all of this.............. NOW you get t spend even MORE of your money as your interests expand!! Neat-o, huh!?!
    If you obviously have the vise, and a few basic tools, from tying your globugs, and if you want to begin tying regular patterns, I'd suggest the "Bob Henly Tie A Fly" fly kits available on line and at most fly shops.
    Each kit, (Wooley Bugger, Adams, etc. etc.), contain all the hooks, feathers, furs, whatever the recipe calls for, to tie up 12 flies. They, also, come with photographic easy to follow, directions to help you with each step.
    This is only one, idea, if it sounds like something you may want to try, you can check out the kits at wetfly.net.
    Now, if you REALLY want to get involved in fly tying and learn quickly, and possibly going over and around, many pitfalls of early tying....... I'd really suggest taking lessons from a local fly shop!
    That's all ya' get, for my .02!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would start by looking under the fly tying resources on this site. You'll also find tons of fly recipes on the internet, complete with step-by-step instructions.

You should also take a beginner's class if you can find one in your area. If you can't do that, find a good book. I had the Orvis guide to fly tying that I half learned from, but I'm sure some of the members here can recommend a good book for beginners.

Finally, take all of your money and burn it, or else before long you'll have a desk with drawers overflowing with all kinds of materials, half of which you won't remember why you ever bought it in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread