+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Fluorocarbon Tippet?

Default Which Fluorocarbon Tippet?

What are your opinions on the best overall fluorocarbon tippet material??

I have used Rio and Seaguar.

Anyone have any experience with Cabela's or Airflows Sightfree???

How about what they are calling third generation fluorocarbon?

What is/are the recommended knot(s) to connect tippet to leader or tippet to tippet or tippet to fly?

I like Seaguar myself, the FC leader for saltwater and Grand Max for fresh. It knots well for me, stays straight and I particularily like the abrasion resistance of the FC leader. I haven't used Rio enough to form an opinion. I have tried AirFlo and wasn't impressed enough to buy anymore. I also have several spools of Stren Flourocarbon, it is reletively inexpensive, but certainly decent enough stuff.

I haven't tried any of the new 3rd generation you mention as I am still working through all my old stuff.

Leader to tippet, I usually go loop to loop (Surgeon's loops) and for the fly either Lefty's non slip loop knot on the larger sizes and an improved clinch on the small stuff.

Guy
    Last edited by Guy; 01-24-2008 at 01:12 AM.

I've fished just about all of them and I have been most satisfied with Seaguar Grand Max for 20lb and under and the new Seaguar Fluoro Premiere for anything over 20lb. As for knots, I use an improved clinch or a loop knot to attach the fly and a blood knot for leader to leader unless there is a huge difference in diameter (like tying on shock tippet) then it's and Albright.

Blog Entries

Ortho, I have used Cabelas for several years now, and it works just fine for me. Never tried lighter than 6x, but the 3-5x served me well on the T for many years. I also like the 100-meter spools, considering how much I fish.

Dennis

Oops, knots. I used a double surgeon's loop for loop-loop for leader to tippet, and clinch knots for tying on flies and droppers. What, you say those don't work? Worked fine for me, remember to wet the material and slowly pull the knots tight.
    Last edited by DG; 01-24-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Mirage for real tippet and P-Line for fishing line Flouro.

I like FC by Frog Hair.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Rio & Froghair for me
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

Blog Entries

Smile Fluorocarbon Tippet and Knots

Orthoman,

I use fluorocarbon tippet on all my flies, wet, nymph and dries.

Many years ago I started using the original yellow labeled Airflo fluorocarbon tippet material but it kept breaking.

So, I then switched to their Generation 3 Airflo Sightfree with the blue label and used it for many years, with no problems.

Last spring I switched to the new Rio Fluoroflex Plus tippet. The reason I switched is because it is stronger pound for pound than almost any other tippet material so if you are using a 5X tippet you have more strength in that size than the other brands. I have noticed that many of the guides I use have also switched to the Rio Fluoroflex Plus tippet material.

No matter what fluorocarbon tippet you use, you must use the proper knots to achieve the best strength available.

I start with a mono leader then tie on fluorocarbon tippet, at least 18 inches. I use an Orvis Cinch Tie tool, one is also sold by Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001323312797a&type=product&cmCat=sear ch&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=cinch+knot+tool&N=4887&Ntk= Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=cinch+knot+to ol&noImage=0

A fantastic tool for many knots but I use it just to tie an Improved Surgeons knot. Since I am tying fluorocarbon to mono, I twist the loop three times rather than the suggested two times. This makes a very strong knot. If you are using larger leaders and tippets, then I would suggest a blood knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.phpLogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animat edknots.com

I use a Turle knot to tie the fluorocarbon to my fly or hook. Here are several websites that try to explain how to tie a Turle knot. It is an old knot but is really a strong knot, and easy to tie, but difficult to explain. The below web site explains it best. Since fluorocarbon can cut into itself, a knot like the Turle knot prevents that.

http://shoreangling4u.tripod.com/knotguide/id24.html

If you don't like the Turle knot then I would suggest using the Orvis Knot, which is similar to the Turle and won't cut in on itself.

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html
    and click on Orvis Knot not the Orvis Tippet Knot, but it looks like a good knot for tippet to leader also.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

A couple of years ago I used Frog Hair during the season and kept all the old spools after the tippet was gone. Threw them in a basket. Loved the stuff. Anyway, I counted up the spools one day and there were something like 13 spools in the basket. Wow, something like $150 for tippets. Stupid. So I switched to P-Line at 10% the price. I have noticed no difference in performance.

+ Reply to Thread