+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biot Bodies

Default Biot Bodies

I've been playing around a little bit lately with biot bodies. I just love the ribbed look that you get, I think they add a real 'alive' look to flies, but I find that they are really hard to work with. I'm wondering what other's experiences there are out there. Do you guys use hackle pliars to wrap the biot or just your fingers? Is there a specific kind of biot (turkey, goose, etc) that you've found works best? I also have a problem keeping the ribbing out. It has a tendency to twist as I wrap it eliminating the look I'm trying to achieve. Thoughts?
    Leave No Trace

There's some good info here.

Make sure you use turkey. Goose is too short.

Suppose I could be contentious here, and say the type of biot is dependent on the size fly you're tying! Goose works real well for tiny flies, turkey for bigger flies, parrot for tiny really pretty flies! (yellow bodied with blue ribs ... the trouts love 'em!!)
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I primarily use goose biots and have found them to be plenty long enough for flies 16 and above. I tie alot of comparaduns, nymphs, and midges using goose biots. also use a pair of hackle pliers to wrap the biot around the hook. One trick that I learned that makes working with biots a whole lot easier is to let htem soak in a wet towel for about 10 minutes. I'll get a dishcloth and wet it, then I'll place the biots (however many I'm tying) on the wet dishcloth and fold the cloth in half. I then get all my materials in order and by the time I'm ready to use the biot they are pliable and easier to work with.

Hope this helps.

Greg

She's right, but my clunky sausage fingers don't do tiny.

Normally when I'm using biots, I attach it to the hook, by the point-ey end, hold the non-point-ey end straight out (fingers or grip), and use the rotary feature of my vise. My fingers may be small but I'm not the most graceful thing on this planet!!
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 01-22-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: don't know my point-ey end from not!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

I use goose biots a lot for my soft hackle flies. I tie a yellow SH with a yellow biot body and partridge.

-wayne

Betty,

So, where do you get the Parrot feathers?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,
    Our vet occasionally clips the flight feathers from a friends macaw, and saves the feathers for me.
    Betty

+ Reply to Thread