+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shall we.....

Blog Entries

Default Shall we.....

dance...a very interesting pattern. This pattern as tied by Gary LaFontaine, the "dancing caddis". The pattern is tied on an upside down hook. Original pattern calls for a swedish dry fly hook. (I ordered them and should receive them tuesday) I wanted to practice so I used a Tiempco 200RBL. According to the pattern the wing is just a tad long. Let me tell you, I jabbed myself on the first one pretty good, tying in the deer hair wing. I tied two...this is the only one I can photo as the other is ....... don't know it vanished. I cleaned up before photographing and I may have tossed it. I searched the room and nothing......vaccuumed as a precaution. Well hopefully it won't turn up.

What do you think? again...the wing is a tad long....although I don't think the fish will mind.

Dancing Caddis

Hook: Tiempco 200 RBL size 16(Partridge KA3 - Original)
    Thread: Tan 6/0
    Body: Olive Brown rabbit
    Wing: Natural deer
    Hackle: Cree (What a great pattern to break in my new cree hackle)
    Last edited by cholcomb13; 01-19-2008 at 09:49 PM.
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

Blog Entries

Salsa? Tango? Waltz?
    nice tie!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

The wing(fly) is fine. Some times I tie my wings bigger and the Fish still love them.

As for the other Fly did you check your shirt?
    Cat/Dogs fur, Hay you never know!
    I know if you go bare foot you will fine it. lol

Eric

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EPuffer View Post
    The wing(fly) is fine. Some times I tie my wings bigger and the Fish still love them.

As for the other Fly did you check your shirt?
    Cat/Dogs fur, Hay you never know!
    I know if you go bare foot you will fine it. lol

Eric
    shirt, chairs, jacket, pants, etc.....I've been going barefoot....hopefully I'll be the one to find it...otherwise....I'm in trouble...

I agree with EPuffer on the wing. A little long is rarely a problem, unless you hold yourself in bondage to the original recipe. I have found that it rarely matters how long a wing is, just as long as you remember to put a wing on at all. This is an interesting fly in that the body will cut through the film on that 200R hook.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Joe....I think the fly looks good as is....the original receipe calls for the wing to extend to the bend...I made the comment for those receipe perfectionist. I would say I'm a 80-95 %er. However, when I get a chance to fish it I'll let them be the judge

the swedish dry fly hook actually extends the bend further under the water. LaFontaine developed this pattern as a way to mimic the egg laying females who would drop there ends under the water to deposit their eggs...and found the hook up rate greater with the hook point facing upward as opposed to the traditional downward position.

Can't wait to fish it.
    Last edited by cholcomb13; 01-19-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Looks good to me I might just have to try tie one myself.
    Remember we all live down stream

Your Fly looks fine! I hope the lost one's barb is pinched down!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default great fly

nicely tied and the wing length could be a little shorter but that's not the end of the world!

To make the fly more true to LaFontaine's pattern, the wing should end below or even with the bottom of the body. When set on a flat surface, it should rest on the cut hackle and the wing with the body above the surface. This really makes the fly "dance"!
    btw....I prefer the 200rs with a little modifying bend for this fly over the K3As
    Jason

Blog Entries

I've got some KA3's coming....Jason were do you modify the bend at about the wing tie in area? any problem with weaking the hook as a result of the modification?

+ Reply to Thread