+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pocono Area/Watergap Fishing?

Default Pocono Area/Watergap Fishing?

Can anyone advise me as to where would be a good place to take my 8 yr old son fishing in the Pocono area. Im thinking late April early May. Just a daytrip.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him once...
    Teach a man to fish and his wife will be ticked off!

cbrov3:

If it's trout you are after; I'd start with the Bushkill at Resica Falls. He might enjoy checking out the Boy Scout Camp and the camp store. You will need an additional permit to fish the Scout property.

After that I'd go to the Delayed Harvest section of McMichaels Creek which has good access, nice scenery and lots of fish.

And then there is the Brodhead Creek which has tricky access and DEEP holes but a TON of fish. I'd access the Brodhead along any of the Stroud Township parks along Route 191.

Hopefully the water levels cooperate because all three creeks get HIGH if it rains a a lot.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 01-19-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Where are you coming from?

Thers are A LOT of good spots for kids.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Im coming from Ocean County NJ. I am familiar with the Shawnee and E Stroudsberg area, but would like to tap the local knowlege to increase our chances for catching something.

Go past the main entrance to Shawnee and turn right onto Hidden Lake road.
    About mile maybe a bit more there is an antrance to Hidden lake. Go to the main parking.
    You can fish tjhe lake right by the parking lot.
    Spring will bring you stocked trout and the rest of the year has good panfish and pikerel actoion. Occasional bass happens too. This is a early stocking lake - you can fish it in March. It's closed April1 till 12th.

A little bit further:

Take 80 to Scotrun exit and turn left on 611. Drive to the center of Mount Pocono and turn right onto 940 East. Turn left to 390 North and follow it quite a bit to Promised Land State Park. Lower lake for Pickerel and panfish (trout in spring). Upper lake for panfish, bass crappie and everything else. You can rent a boat or canoe there too. Fishing from shore go to the farthest tip of the conservation island very good spot.

Tobuhanna Lake.

80 west to 380 north exit 7. Turn right onto 423 East and follow it thrugh Tobyhanna (two marked turns) to Tobyhanna State Park. Again stocked trout in the spring and everything else in the summer. Nice fishing pier too.

Minsi lake. From 80 west in NJ Take exit 4 stay to the left and follow the signs for Portland. PA (46 south and quick exit for the bridge). After the bridge stay on 611 South (straight) and go thrugh Mount Bethel turn right on 512 (south or west can't remember). You will come to the Five Points intersection (traffic light) and turn right on to Johnsonville Rd.
    At the intersection with the 4 way stop turn left onto Ridge Rd and then make quck right to Minsi Lake Dr. It will take you to the Lake. Trout in spring (early season opening March 29th). Good panfish action the rest of the time.

Gouldboro Lake and Bradys Lake are unde a drowdown.

For some bigger fish you can hit Lake Wallenpaupack or Beltzwille Lake but for these you deafinitely need a boat and I would not go there on the weekend. Boat traffic will drive you nuts.

PM me with any additional questions.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking to take the boys for the day. I was thinking more toward the big D so I wouldn't need a PA liscence, but i also want the kids to enjoy the trip and be safe.

cprov:

If it's just fishin' you are after; I have had fun fishing the Delaware from the bank along Route 611 on the PA side between the towns of Delaware Water Gap and Slateford. There is a DEEP slow stretch there. You can see the river from 611 so pull off where it is safe and just walk over. There is a sandy beach type area that provides a decent place to sit or even fly cast without wading.

The same stretch can also be accessed off of Route 80 at the last NJ exit on Route 80; #1 for the Dunfield Creek Natural Area; just before you cross the river into PA. It is all part of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. If you want to do some hiking; the Appalachian Trail goes right through that area. A 3.5 mile hike up the trail will put you on Sunfish Pond. I haven't fished it in awhile so I can't tell you whether it's worth a 7 mile walk to find out but the I'm sure the rangers at the Gap park office can give you the scoop.

That side of the river and that exit can also put you on to Route 606 AKA River Road AKA Old Mine Road. That is the road with the 5 minute traffic light that parallels the river heading upstream on the NJ side and takes you into the Worthington State Forest area of the Gap. After you get through the one lane section of Old Mine Road/606 there are several nice fishing spots you can access. Not too far up Old Mine Road/Route 606 there is a large pull off on the left side of the road with a gravel parking area and some garbage cans. A trail from the lot will take you down a steep hill to the river across from the mouth of the Brodhead Creek. There are some cool old resort ruins and old RR trestle abutments to check out. The old resort remnants are right on the side of the hill WITH STEPS down to the river and it is a great fishing spot where I have even had a few cook-outs. Fly casting from this location is almost impossible and don't even dream of wading but if the kid wants to fish lures or bait you will be fine.

Further up Old Mine/Route 606 you will come to the Copper Mine Area which is directly across the river from the Shawnee area on the PA side. That area is closer to the river bank and has picnic areas and a boat launch along with decent bank fishing access for a fly rod or regular fishing.

BTW; there are a few REALLY nice brook trout streams up there too.

Good fishin'!
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 01-21-2008 at 06:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread