+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pet Fur

Default Pet Fur

How do you collect fur from animals neatly? I have an orange striped cat which I thought its fur can make good fly tying material I will try to get started once I get better at fly fishing.

Blog Entries

i just take whats left on the comb after brushing for dubbing. if you want it for streamers, first, wait till the females in the house leave, then scratch the pets ears while as gently as you can clipping off what fur you need. my dog has long soft fur so i can get some belly fur pretty easily without leaving any noticable patches. ive only done last part once though.
    also, we never had this conversation. this thread will blow up in 5....4....3....2....

I get it from when people brush their animals.

Rick

Throw a treat down on the ground in front of one end and approach slowly from the other with scissors.

Or you could just brush em like others have said but thats not very sporting in my book.

lol
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Wink Brush Them!

Pedran,

I've had a number of different colored cats over the years who have contributed substantially to my dubbing supply. I just bring out the pet brush and groom them until my baggie is full. My cats have always come running when the see the brush; they love it. I've never tried to clip cat or dog hair for streamers because my animals have always been short hairs and because of the huge amount of underfur that has to be cleaned out. I can always find better hair in my regular fly-tying supplies, squirrel for example. 8T

Sneaking up from behind works good on cats and dogs, but if your pet is a horse, you might want to approach from a different direction. All my pet-hair comes from the above mentioned brushing. Except in the spring when most of our lab-dachsund mix's hair is on the carpet and furniture anyway, then all you have to do is very patiently pick it up and sort it by size and shade.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I get mine the easy way, when I take the dogs to get clipped. I just ask them to bag up all the clippings they cut off.

You all might be interest in the pet fur swap that is now up on the swap board a few slots still left open. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

+ Reply to Thread