+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Technical Trout Stream?

1. Default Most Technical Trout Stream?

What do you think is the most technical trout stream/river/creek in the US?

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Just because of the number and variety of hatches (I've seen 6 major hatches in the space of an hour), I would give it to Penns Creek. I've seen fish that would ignore everything else and only take the size 18 sulphurs, whilst caddis, BWOs, March Browns,.... danced around.
    Frank Reid

I fish alot but as i look at the world I fish a small area for trout montana Idaho and western wyoming. in this area the most tecnical of the lot (for Me) is the ranch on the Henerys Fork. Lots of folks and blanket hatches ( you may have 20 naturals within a foot of your fly)You better have your game face on this time of year in that strech. TUFF!!

Rich

While I can't say it rates for the entire US,for stealth and presentation and for all the reasons stated above, for me it's Flat Creek in the National Elk Refuge just outside of Jackson Wyoming. This is a meandering, meadow type stream with undercut banks and deep holes in the oxbows. It's the only water where I expect to be skunked and usually am but a hook-up here makes my entire vacation.
    Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Technical & tough may be two different things but I cast a vote for Letort Spring Run for toughness.

Very sparse hatches, clear water, and surroundings that make approach and casting a real challenge make this place far from the top of most anglers? favorite places to fish. You have to MAKE things happen there.

I don't make it to alot of trout streams, but it would have to be whichever one I am on.

Rick

The Letort is the toughest one I've fished myself. Second place (tie) goes to S. Platte's Cheeseman stretch, the lower Dolores, and the Henry's Fork (I haven't been to any of them in several years - I'm guessing they haven't gotten any easier) Honorable mention to Spring Creek in Caledonia, NY - in particular the no-wading section above the hatchery.

[This message has been edited by GrsdLnr (edited 10 August 2005).]

Depends on the stream I am on and on which day and time of year. I have guided many of the best and toughest there are. But I have seen all of them at one time or another be just as easy as Pie to. Streams like the Henrys Fork, Armstrongs Spring Creek, Nelson's Spring Creek, Depuy.s Spring Creek, The Missouri, The Bighorn, Silver Creek and many that I will not name can all be easy or tough depending in the time of year and the day you are fishing them.

Have a high wind day and a bad (Or good year, Depending on how you look at it?) year for hoppers and the Letrot will be easy to. It depends on what is going on the day you are there to fish to. The best part is it's all fun for most of us. I do know some people that hate tough fishing they like it easy or not at all. I like it a little tough. More fun in my view. To each there own. Ron

You know somethin JC, I wish I woulda said that.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Would someone define the word, 'technical' cause I have problems with anything involving modern technology. I especially have problems trying to figure out the language of 'technocrats'. So please, define that word easily so my non-technical brain can understand what you're saying.

Thank you.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread