+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about this? No more trailer

Default How about this? No more trailer

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewezpackerpg2.html

Could be the answer for us old guy's that have to car top.
    Last edited by Jack Hise; 01-13-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Add text

Smile

Cool!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Well Jack as standing member of NBOF, AND owning a 'Toon, guess I'll have to give an opinion on this doo-hicky thing!?!
    Currently, I've got a whopping, whole, $16.00 invested in my 'Toon rack that fits on my Honda CRV's factory roof rack and has worked great for many, many, moons now.

But, even at only 47#s, it DOES get tiring loading and unloading my boat, as I often do 1-3 times a day depending on the area that I'm fishing. This thing, looks to be much easier!

I must have missed it, (not surprisingly of course), but I take it this rack "slides into an existing "buddy box type hitch receptor", or does it require its own set up?

I, also, was "cornfused" when in ONE paragraph.... he lists the price as $229.00, then a paragraph, later, it's up to $239.00!?

Regardless, I think it'll have its own "nitch", in 'Toon boat hauling!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

At less than $250.00 it looks like a good deal.
    And for the Cornfused one go back a page and it shows lots more pictures of the hitch and neato stuff you may have missed.
    Jack
    Your link started on page 2. this link starts on page one. We can't have byflinder being cornfused.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewezpacker.html
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Thanks GNF. That clears up a lot of questions.
    However to add more confusion, when I visited the Tackle Tour site the price was $299.00!!
    I have a friend building a slightly mofified version for me that will be a lot less.
    Before I'd lay out that kind of money plus shipping I'd check with a local fabricating shop.
    Paul has a good point about car topping. The 'toon seems to get heavier each time you load it!

Thanks a lot, Gnu!
    Man, if my fellow NBOFs', didn't keep an eye on me, I'd end up like........ like............ I'd end up something!?! So, if Jack saw "$299.00" for this thing then in two pages the seller is quoting three, different, prices!? Hmmm. Sure, it's only an oversight, no biggie.

Jack, if you're having one fabricated, I wonder if "piston assist", (like one large one in the middle of the frame), would be an option? Sort of along the lines of a hatch-back window/tailgate assembly!?
    Was just doing some very dangerous thinking and it seems, with this rack, you're still not only "lifting your 'Toon" from horizontal to vertical, but also lifting the frame's weight to a degree as well!? (a fulcrum part of its weight, that is).
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Paul;
    That's something to think about.

Although as you swing the pontoon to the verticle position more of the weight should be transfered to the pivot point.

Just think of the load and unload time saved! I have actually carried a small step ladder to make it easier to strap or unstrap mine from the car top carrier!

Well, fellow NBOF member, NOW you've done it.......................... I've been playing with my engineering CAD program, here on my pooter and I've moved the mounting plate of this new invention.............out 7.3 inches and figured out a way to mount a 12volt boat trailer winch, with two pulleys, so the whole thing is now electric.
    Of course, this is ALL way too much overkill, but hey..................... it's winter, I'm weird and wanted to see if it could be done!?! Besides........... "Having your 'Toon, slowly and gently electrically lowered to the ground as you string up your rod", I think shows a certain "class"................. that only certain members, of certain online forums, would/do, possess!?!

I mean, just think................. to have HALF the class, that Gnu Bee has.........wouldn't that be worth the extra cost in itself?
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Paul;
    I would set the "Drop Speed" not only to let me string up my rod but also don my other gear. Then just slide the 'toon into the river and go fishing while my 'tooning buddies are still humping the oars, lunch, etc. to their 'toons!
    Something to keep you busy with your cad program. How would you build one that would be a fit all carrier? Make it adjustable so to speak. The one I'm having made would not work for a 10' 'toon.

Oh, great...... NOW ya' want me to THINK? Gesus, Jack, give a guy a break!
    "10' 'Toons, are going to be a problem, I think, because "with length can come width problems". Not, always, but at times, depending on brand of boat.
    Also, a height situation is going to rear its ugly head. because you're either going to be, perhaps, too high and the wind is going to beat the ends of your toons to death on the highway, orrrrrrr, the first "bad angled driveway ramp" and there goes the ends hanging down!?!
    Not, to mention, not ALL SUVs have "side exhaust"................as in my own, Honda CRV. I measured my CRV, today, and if I used this existing design and my boats loaded 2" too far to the right side.......... blamo, I've just burnt a huge hole in the right side pontoon! Although, it appears by this gent's design, that his rack is self centering and that's perhaps not a problem.

As for "adjustabilty", the simple "one square tube, sized smaller than the outer square tube, with drilled holes and clevis pins" should be easy enough, in the vertical arms.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread